Byron "Reckful" Bernstein, an early contributor to the Hearthstone community, World of Warcraft pro, Twitch streamer, creator of Everland, and so much more, has died from suicide at 31.
If you are contemplating suicide, please reach out to someone.
If not a hotline, confide in a friend. There are people out there who want to help you.
Seeking help is not a sign of weakness.
Reckful's Hearthstone career was not as long as it should have been, but at BlizzCon 2013 he provided us with one of the game's most infamous moments. In the 2013 Hearthstone Invitational, in a game against Kripparrian, he missed lethal; A true horror for all Hearthstone players and proving at the end of the day, we're all only human. He left Hearthstone shortly after this event.
Reckful was the first player in the history of World of Warcraft to reach 3000 Arena rating after a run of 117 wins with only 4 losses. His play was highlighted in the movie Reckful 3.
He dominated the World of Warcraft Arena leader even prior to his 3000 Arena achievement in Cataclysm. For 6 seasons in a row, Reckful was the #1 ranked PvPer in 3v3 starting in Season 4, the final season of The Burning Crusade. His accomplishments didn't stop just online though as he extended his World of Warcraft Arena play to MLG's tournament circuit where they ran WoW events and he placed highly in 4 of them. He played for compLexity Gaming.
- 3rd Place MLG Dallas 2009
- 2nd Place MLG Orlando 2009
- 2nd Place MLG Columbus 2010
- 1st Place MLG Washington DC 2010
- Rank 1 3v3 Ladder The Burning Crusade Season 4
- Rank 1 3v3 Ladder Wrath of the Lich King Season 5
- Rank 1 3v3 Ladder Wrath of the Lich King Season 6
- Rank 1 3v3 Ladder Wrath of the Lich King Season 7
- Rank 1 3v3 Ladder Wrath of the Lich King Season 8
- Rank 1 3v3 Ladder World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Season 9
He was truly an amazing World of Warcraft player and it was always a treat to watch him play.
For the past couple of years, Reckful had spent his time working on his video game, Everland. Everland is an MMO with a social focus and was created to "[hope] to help people find friendship and a sense of community".
- Get Social - Recapture the social aspect of games with systems designed around player interaction
- Minigames & Events - Engage with others in minigames in each zone or participate in open world activities
- Collect & Personalize - Collect special outfits, cosmetics, and super rare items then show them off
- Quests & Stories - Immerse yourself in the world as you quest to learn secrets and earn special rewards
- Player Housing - Decorate your apartment with your collection of furniture, or upgrade to a house or mansion
- Explore & Discover - Explore to discover secrets, fun interactions, and meet your favorite influencers in the world
You will be missed, Reckful.