- For the Horde or for the Alliance? Pick your free Golden Legendary! Perhaps you don't care about the faction pride and just like one of the cards better.
- All the usual groundwork for the expansion release is here, including the pre-purchase bundles and a new Honor system event to come.
- Balance changes for Renew, Razormane Battleguard, Garrote, and Arcanist Dawngrasp (final reward of Sorcerer's Gambit).
- Unique Armor System for Battlegrounds, Minion adjustments, and a new hero Tamsin!
- Many of your Mercenaries getting buffs!
- Deeprun Engineer getting banned in Arena (no more freebie Goliath, Sneed's Masterpiece).
- Book of Mercenaries Scabbs releasing today as well!
- Plus many more bug fixes and improvements.
Your Battle.net clients should be starting the patch downloads as we speak, with mobile devices to follow slightly later. Read on for the detailed patch notes below:
Patch 21.8, launching today, paves the way for Hearthstone’s next expansion with balance changes, Fractured in Alterac Valley pre-purchase, and more!
Choose Your Faction, Claim Your Leader
Next time you log in to Hearthstone, you will get to choose between Horde and Alliance! Your choice comes with a different free Golden Legendary ahead of the expansion. Joining the Horde will instantly get you the mighty Drek’Thar, of the Frostwolf clan! Those who aid the Alliance will instantly receive the stout Vanndar Stormpike, leader of the Stormpike Dwarves!
Pre-Purchase Fractured in Alterac Valley
Hearthstone’s next expansion, Fractured in Alterac Valley, is coming on December 7! After a year of growth, the set follows our Mercenary heroes to a frozen battlefield where they join their factions in a final showdown for honor and powerful shards of a fallen naaru!
Fractured in Alterac Valley includes 135 new cards, inspired by weather as cold as the feelings between Alliance and Horde. You can prepare yourself for battle with two pre-purchase options, starting today!
Fight for Honor and Battle for Alterac Valley!
After the expansion launches, from December 7 to January 11, all players will compete for Honor in order to receive even more free rewards and to claim ultimate victory for their faction! You gain Honor by playing and winning during the eligible period:
- 10 Honor for every game played
- 10 more Honor for every game won (20 total)
- 20 more Honor for every game won versus an opponent from the enemy faction (40 total)
Honor can be gained in Traditional, Arena, and Duels Modes. As you gain Honor, you climb the ranks within your faction and progress a Legendary Quest chain that takes you through the Alterac Valley battlefields and rewards cards from the expansion! All players who complete the Quest chain will receive the same total end rewards, including a Golden copy of the enemy faction’s leader. The order of the rewards depends on which faction you choose, and will be revealed closer to release!
At the end of the event, all Honor will be tallied and the winning faction’s accomplishment will be forever enshrined in Hearthstone, because every player will receive a Diamond copy of the winning faction’s leader card (Drek’Thar or Vanndar)! Every time a player opens their Collection, they will remember this glorious battle!
Card Balance UpdatesRazormane Battleguard
- Old: 2 Attack, 3 Health → New: 2 Attack, 2 Health
- Dev Comment: We’re scaling back on Battleguard to allow a few more answers to it in the early game. Taunt Druid is performing quite well, so we’ll be monitoring it closely to determine whether any more changes are needed.
Arcanist Dawngrasp (Mage Questline final reward)
- Old: Battlecry: For the rest of the game, you have Spell Damage +3. → New: For the rest of the game, you have Spell Damage +2.
- Dev Comment: Reducing the lethality of Questline Mage should help open up additional room for slower strategies to succeed.
- Old: Deal 2 damage to the enemy hero. Shuffle 3 Bleeds into your deck that deal 2 more when drawn. → New: Deal 2 damage to the enemy hero. Shuffle 2 Bleeds into your deck that deal 2 more when drawn.
- Dev Comment: Garrote Rogue has performed quite well at higher ranks. This is a softer change aimed at increasing the breakpoint of Spell Damage needed from 2 to 3, while also making Armor a more effective counter to the strategy.
The cards listed above will be eligible for a full dust refund for 2 weeks after the 21.8 patch goes live.Renew
- Old: [Costs 2] → New: [Costs 1]
- Dev Comment: Priest archetypes outside of Shadow have been underperforming relative to the field. This revert should add a bit of power back to those strategies.
NEW ARMOR SYSTEM
Introducing the Battlegrounds Armor System! Starting in patch 21.8, Battlegrounds heroes will be awarded Armor at the start of each game to help balance and spice up the Tavern. All heroes will get a random amount of Armor from within a range, based on their power levels, with the strongest heroes getting 0 Armor and the weakest heroes being eligible for up to 10 Armor. At launch, these will be the Armor ranges and placements:
Our plan is to review these ranges and placements as part of our Battlegrounds balancing going forward, but we also want to hear your feedback on this new system after you play with it. The system may come in and out of the mode from patch to patch as we refine the system and introduce other new features or major changes.
NEW HEROTamsin Roame
- Fragrant Phylactery [Costs 0]
- Start of Combat: Destroy your lowest Health minion. Give its Health to all your others.
Players with Battlegrounds Perks will have early access to Tamsin Roame before the Hero is formally released on November 30.
Diablo will be sticking around a little bit longer, so that he can have another chance to make his mark before he goes. To help with that, three of the Diablo Treasures have been changed:
- Sigil of Hell’s damage has been increased:
- Tier 1: Old: 1 damage → New: 2 damage
- Tier 2: Old: 3 damage → New: 4 damage
- Tier 3: Old: 6 damage → New: 8 damage
- Tier 4: Old: 12 damage → New: 16 damage
- Claws of Terror’s stat buff has been increased:
- Tier 1: Old: +2/+2 → New: +4/+4
- Tier 2: Old: +6/+6 → New: +8/+8
- Tier 3: Old: +12/+12 → New: +16/+16
- Hellfire Hooves’s Attack buff has been increased:
- Tier 1: Old: +1 Attack → New: +2 Attack
- Tier 2: Old: +2 Attack → New: +4 Attack
- Tier 3: Old: +3 Attack → New: +8 Attack
- Tier 4: Old: +6 Attack → New: +16 Attack
MINION POOL UPDATES
- Bristleback Knight has been removed from the minion pool.
- Mythrax has returned to the minion pool.
- Thorncaller has returned to the minion pool.
- Old: 6 Attack, 3 Health. Avenge (2): Deal 6 damage to the highest Health enemy minion. → New: 5 Attack, 3 Health. Avenge (2): Deal 5 damage to the highest Health enemy minion.
- Old: After a friendly minion loses Divine Shield, give it +2/+1 permanently. → New: After a friendly minions loses Divine Shield, give it +1/+1 permanently.
- Old: 2 Attack, 1 Health → New: 3 Attack, 1 Health
- Old: 2 Attack, 6 Health → New: 3 Attack, 5 Health
- Old: Battlecry: Give a friendly Pirate +1/+1 for each Pirate you bought this turn. → New: Battlecry: Give a friendly Pirate +1/+1. Repeat for each Pirate you bought this turn.
- Old: 4 Attack, 5 Health → New: 4 Attack, 6 Health
- Old: Avenge (5): Make another friendly Pirate Golden permanently. → New: Avenge (4): Make another friendly Pirate Golden permanently.
- Old: 4 Attack, 3 Health → New: 5 Attack, 3 Health
- Old: 4 Attack, 4 Health. The first Blood Gem played on this each turn gives an extra +2/+2. → New: 3 Attack, 3 Health. The first Blood Gem played on this each turn gives an extra +3/+3.
- Old: 4 Attack, 5 Health → New: 5 Attack, 6 Health
- Old: Tier 3 → New: Tier 4
- Old: Battlecry: Choose a friendly minion. It steals all Blood Gems from its neighbors. → New: Battlecry: Play 2 Blood Gems on a friendly minion. It steals all Blood Gems from its neighbors.
Several Mercenaries have been buffed.Cariel Roame
- Old: 10 Attack, 67 Health (Level 30 stats) → New: 10 Attack, 73 Health (Level 30 stats)
- Hold the Front
- Old: Speed 4, Cooldown 1 → New: Speed 2, Cooldown 0
- Blessing of Sacrifice
- Old (Rank 5): Speed 3 → New (Rank 5): Speed 2
- Staggering Slam
- Old: Speed 4 → New: Speed 2
- Old: Speed 9 → New: Speed 6
- Fist of Jaraxxus
- Old (Rank 5): Speed 6, Deal 12 damage to a random enemy. Repeat for each of your other Demons. → New: Speed 4, Deal 15 damage to a random enemy. Repeat for each of your other Demons.
- Fel Infernal
- Old: Speed 5, Cooldown 1 → New: Speed 4, Cooldown 0
- Old: Cooldown 1 → New: Cooldown 0
- Old (Rank 5): After an enemy Attacks this turn, Attack it. → New (Rank 5): After an enemy Attacks this turn, Gain +5 Attack and Attack it.
- Old: 9 Attack, 69 Health (Level 30 stats) → New: 12 Attack, 74 Health (Level 30 stats)
- Blade Dance
- Old: Cooldown 2 → New: Cooldown 1
- Demon Shroud (Equipment)
- Old: Take 5 less damage while Attacking. → New: Take 10 less damage while Attacking.
- Scaly Taunt
- Old (Rank 5): Gain Taunt and this takes 3 less damage this turn. → New (Rank 5): Gain Taunt and this takes 5 less damage this turn.
- Iridescent Neckless
- Old (Rank 4): Scaly Taunt makes this Merc take 3 less damage this turn. → New (Rank 4): Scaly Taunt makes this Merc take 3 less damage and is Immune to Critical Damage this turn.
- Felfin Navigator
- Old (Rank 5): Give your other Murlocs +3/+5. → New (Rank 5): Give your other Murlocs +5/+5.
- Old (Rank 5): 16 Attack, 16 Health → New (Rank 5): 20 Attack, 20 Health
- Primordial Fin (Equipment)
- Old (Rank 4): Giantfin gains +8 Attack. → New: Giantfin gains +8 Attack and Divine Shield.
- Old: 9 Attack, 76 Health (Level 30 stats) → New: 11 Attack, 76 Health (Level 30 stats)
- Hulking Overfiend
- Old: Rush. Deathblow: This Attacks the lowest Health enemy. → New: Battlecry: Attack the lowest Health enemy. Deathblow: Attack the lowest Health enemy.
- Orc Onslaught
- Old: Speed 7 → New: Speed 5
- Old: 8 Attack, 69 Health (Level 30 stats) → New: 10 Attack, 72 Health (Level 30 stats)
- Old: 9 Attack, 69 Health (Level 30 stats) → New: 12 Attack, 69 Health (Level 30 stats)
- Siphon Life
- Old: Speed 7 → New: Speed 6
- Deeprun Engineer is now banned in Arena.
Book of Mercenaries Scabbs
There is a traitor in the Stormwind court, and superspy Scabbs Cutterbutter is on the case! The mercenary rogue's search for the truth will lead him to the depths of the Stormwind Stockade and an unlikely ally. Together they must escape and race to the Deadmines where a band of pirates led by the rebel Edwin VanCleef seek to smuggle the gathered shards of naaru out of Stormwind. Find out where they're headed when Book of Mercenaries Scabbs launches November 16. Defeating all 8 bosses in this linear adventure will reward 1 Rogue pack, containing only Rogue cards from Standard!
Bug Fixes & Game Improvements
- Fixed a bug where Dormant cards would not show a preview on hover while dormant.
- Fixed a bug where Celestial Ink Set would not lose durability in some cases where it should’ve.
- Fixed a bug where Tyrantus was missing the Cannot be Targeted by Hero Powers and Spells trait.
- Fixed a bug where it was possible to move Tradeable cards around during the other player’s turn.
- Fixed a bug where Monstrous Parrot would not trigger Deathrattles last triggered by other cards like Oblivitron or Necrium Blade.
- Fixed an extremely rare occurrence where a minion’s health could get so large in Battlegrounds it could be deleted from the warband entirely.
- Fixed a bug where minions that had their Blood Gems stolen by Necrolyte no longer have a +0/+0 enchantment banner.
- Updated Edwin’s Sharpen Blades Battlegrounds Hero Power text to reflect that it’s restricted to friendly minions.
- Fixed a bug where Battlegrounds party invites would not send if the receiving player was editing a deck.
- Fixed a bug where the loading screen wheel would appear zoomed in if a player joined a Battlegrounds party while spectating a game.
- Fixed a bug where players could become stuck in the Mercenaries tutorial.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where equipping Grommash’s Halting Sash would decrease the speed reduction of Staggering Slam.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where claiming completed tasks could make non-completed tasks appear completed.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where completing two tasks at the same time could cause a visual overlap of their pop-ups.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where the Majordomo Executus bounty was incorrectly named as the Ragnaros bounty on story task 22.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where Varden Dawngrasp’s Deathrattle’s were not affected by Frost Damage modifiers.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where Lady Anacondra’s Mark of the Viper 3 would apply to King Krush twice.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where campaign tasks were missing their flavor text.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where Seal of Light could retarget an enemy if the originally targeted friendly minion died before the ability was used.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where the Majordomo Executus bounty could be unlocked prematurely.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where Mr. Smite’s Sharpened Scabbard would show inconsistent numbers between passive and enchantment text.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where Cookie, the Cook’s Cookie’s Cooking would not provide extra healing despite having Iron Ladel equipped.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where Rokara’s Task 3, Surprise! referenced and ability Rokara doesn’t have.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where Mirror Clone could cause the duplicate minion to change position with other Mercenaries.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where Scaly Taunt would not reduce damage.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where Hunting Shroud 1 would not add Attack for Bear Trap 2.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where Soul Burn would not update to reflect Spell Damage.
- Fixed a Mercenaries bug where Jaina’s Ice Block Talisman would not activate.
- Multiple Mercenaries packs can now be purchased at the same time with Gold.
- Fixed a bug where player Gold totals would not update after buying a Mercenaries pack until the client was restarted or a different pack type was purchased.
- Added tooltips and corrected typos for several abilities in Mercenaries.
- Fixed text issues for several Mercenaries related Achievements.
- Updated several Mercenaries tasks that had outdated or incorrect text.
- Fixed a Duels bug where Quel’Delar would be shuffled into your deck instead of being added to your hand at the start of the game.
- Fixed a Duels bug where Fire Stomp would not update to reflect Spell Damage.
- Fixed a Duels bug where Legendary Loot’s card text did not match its functionality.
- Fixed a Duels bug where favorite card backs were not being applied to decks.
- Fixed a bug where both the legacy and core set versions of a card could be added to Tavern Brawl decks when using Complete My Deck.
- Fixed a bug where choosing a Hero Skin at the end of the Rewards Track would not mark it as owned until the journal was reopened.
- Fixed a bug where the in-game Shop button was difficult to click on pop-ups.
- Fixed various localization issues.
Which of the features stand out to you to be most excited about? Anything you didn't really see coming? Let us know in the comments!