We just got a brand new auto-chess like game mode announced for Hearthstone - Hearthstone Battlegrounds! A fast-paced, easy-to-learn 8-player auto-battler.
How To Get In?
A demo version is playable on the BlizzCon show floor right now!
Early Access starts at 10 a.m. PDT on November 5 and lasts till 10 a.m. on November 12. Only accessible for:
- Players who have acquired the Descent of Dragons pre-purchase bundle
- BlizzCon Attendees
- BlizzCon Virtual Ticket holders.
Open Beta starts on November 12, after the Early Access ends.
- Accessible to EVERYONE!
- Completely free game mode! And you don't need to have a collection to play!
- Fully functional Tutorial (at launch) narrated by the one and only, Bob "the Bob" Bob, himself!
- 8 Players experience.
- You can queue into Battlegrounds with 1 friend. You'll still fight each other though!
- 24 Playable Heroes.
- There are 10 Battleground-only minions.
- Mana costs on cards are replaced by "Tavern Tiers" - a star level for each card indicating strength.
- Appears to give progression towards a gold gain (10g for 3 wins ... so the 100g/daily limit?).
- Cool bonuses acquired via getting Descent of Dragons packs (more info below).
At the start of the match, you are presented with two (or three) of the 24 available Heroes with unique Hero Powers to choose from. For example Ragnaros the Firelord, Millificent Manastorm or The Lich King.
Showcased gameplay footage provided by Legend Stuff
- Instead of building a deck, you will craft a "board of minions".
- To do this, you'll visit Bob's Tavern and the start of the match and between Combat Rounds.
- Start with a three (3) gold coins to spend on a Tier 1 minion drafted from a pool shared by all eight (8) players.
- You'll receive additional coin each round, until your income caps at 10 coins per round.
- Coins can't be saved up to be spent in future rounds.
- You can sell off minions for coins. One minion for one coin.
- You can upgrade the Tavern to get access to higher Tier minions up to Tier 6 and deal more damage to enemy Hero.
- The cost of upgrading Tavern to a higher Tier is lowered by one (1) each round.
- You can form a "Triple" - by recruiting three (3) of the same minion, you can combine them into a more powerful Golden version as well as the opportunity to Discover a free minion.
- Minions with Battlecry effects apply their effect during the Recruit Phase. You can use them and sell right back if you so desire.
The Tavern Options
In the Tavern, there are several actions you can take:
- Recruit a Minion - recruit a minion to your team.
- Refresh the Board - refresh the current line-up of minions for purchase.
- Fire a Minion - remove one of your minions to gain one (1) coin.
- Freeze the Board (free action) - freeze the line-up and it will appear on your next Tavern visit.
- Improve Your Tavern - higher tier tavern offers better minions and lets your Hero deal more damage to your opponent.
- Create a Triple (automatic action) - transform three-of-the-same-kind minions into a more powerful one, and get a reward card that lets you discover a minion from your next Tier Tavern list.
When combat starts, you will be matched with a random opponent. Minions for each player -starting from the left to right and alternating one by one for each player- attack a random enemy minion, unless the enemy has a Taunt minion, which will be attacked first. Whoever has any minions alive once combat resolves wins the round and gets to deal damage to the enemy Hero.
Damage dealt to Heroes transfers to another round. The status of all other players (including which opponent you will face off against next) will be visible at all times on the Leaderboard to the left of the board.
The match ends for you when you defeat all other opponents or if your Hero's Health was reduced to 0.
- All the usual Hearthstone effects work the same, Divine Shield negates one attack, Poisonous will insta-kill a minion, Deathrattle triggers when minion dies etc.
- In between Combat Phases, you can place purchased minions from your hand onto the board or switch position of those already in play.
- Your current skill rating is visible in the pre-match screen.
- You gain/lose skill rating depending on your performance in one match.
- Ending the match in the top 4 will generally increase your skill rating.
- Ending the match in the bottom 4 will generally lower your skill rating.
- Battling against players of significantly lower or higher skill rating could cause some variance in rank gain/loss.
Acquire Descend of Dragons packs (by Quests, Gold Purchases, Bundles, Events, etc.) to unlock special bonuses for Hearthstone Battlegrounds.
- At 10 DoD packs: unlock comprehensive stat-tracking (slated for release following beta testing).
- At 20 DoD packs: unlock the ability to choose from three different Bosses instead of two at the start of each match.
- At 30 DoD packs: unlock special emotes.
Get Social for BlizzCon
Come hang out with us on Discord to chat in real-time about BlizzCon. You can also follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.
Support us on Patreon
Like what we're doing? Consider supporting Out of Cards over on Patreon. You'll get a special site title, avatar border, special Discord access, and never will see any ads as long as you remain a patron.
All BlizzCon 2019 Coverage
We're going to be covering plenty of news from BlizzCon, so be sure to check it all out!
Get Cheaper Hearthstone Packs with Amazon Coins
Learn more about how you can save money on Hearthstone packs for the new expansion with our guide on Amazon Coins!