- Midrange Hunter
With the new Hunter Legendary Vereesa Windrunner the possibility of a new Hunter archetype emerges. Malygos has always been the centre of OTK decks and with the release of '"Rise of Shadows" it looks like Hunter will get a chance to play a bit with that sweet spell damage.
For the time being this is still a theorycraft, though I would extensively work on adapting the decklist during the next few days once the Year of the Dragon begins.
The main idea is to draw Jepetto Joybuzz either naturally or through Master's Call. Since the deck consists of only a few key minions most of the time it shouldn't be a problem to discover him. Once in hand Jepetto needs to draw one of the following combinations:
- Malygos + Vereesa Windrunner for +7 Spell damage after one attack with her weapon Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury
- Malygos + Alexstrasza for setting the opponents health to 15 and +5 Spell damage;
- Vereesa Windrunner + Alexstrasza for setting the opponents health to 15 and +2 Spell damage;
Additionally, you need to have in hand a combination of Arcane Shot, Rapid Fire and Bomb Toss according to the minions you have drawn through Jepetto Joybuzz.
If those conditions are satisfied, then with 10 mana you proceed to OTK your opponent through one of the three ideal combinations stated above.
Spell damage options combinations:
- With both Malygos and Vereesa Windrunner in play Arcane Shot and Bomb Toss deal 9 damage each, while Rapid Fire deals 8. The best case scenario here for 8 mana is dealing a total of 59 damage.
- With only Malygos in play Arcane Shot and Bomb Toss deal 7 damage each, while Rapid Fire deals 6. The best case scenario here for 8 mana is dealing a total of 45 damage.
- With only Vereesa Windrunner in play Arcane Shot and Bomb Toss deal 4 damage each, while Rapid Fire deals 3 (in this case you might need Alexstrasza). The best case scenario here for 8 mana is dealing a total of 24 damage.
Game Plan and Other Possible Cards:
For the moment I've stopped myself on a small secret package to help the deck through the early game with mid to late game support from Animal Companion, Unleash the Beast, Eaglehorn Bow and Unleash the Hounds. The main draw engine is Master's Call to fish out Jepetto Joybuzz and we have Zul'jin as a late game value engine and board refill.
I considered Witchwood Piper, Tracking and even a combination of 1-cost minions and the new epic Arcane Fletcher, though at least for the moment I decided against their inclusion because I believe they have a negative synergy with the goal of the deck and/or are a bit too unreliable (Especially in the case of Tracking which might discard a key combo piece. I also considered adding another Marked Shot or exchange it for Baited Arrow, though at the moment I'm not sure how useful they might turn out to be. This might change in the following weeks as I tweak the deck.
Overall, I think this deck has the potential to become viable and it has room for improvement. I don't believe it would be a top tier deck, though it might find it's place in the meta if not now, then maybe at a later point of the Year of the Dragon.
I'm looking forward to feedback and thanks for reading!
Vote On This Deck!
Enjoy this deck guide? Help others find it and show your support to the author by giving it an upvote!2
- 1 Arcane Shot x 2
- 1 Hunter's Mark x 1
- 2 Bomb Toss x 2
- 2 Explosive Trap x 1
- 2 Freezing Trap x 2
- 2 Rapid Fire x 2
- 2 Snipe x 1
- 3 Animal Companion x 2
- 3 Deadly Shot x 2
- 3 Eaglehorn Bow x 2
- 3 Kill Command x 2
- 3 Master's Call x 2
- 3 Unleash the Hounds x 1
- 4 Marked Shot x 1
- 6 Unleash the Beast x 2
- 7 Vereesa Windrunner x 1
- 10 Zul'jin x 1