- Highlander Mill Mage (Saviors of Uldum edition)
Highlander Mill Mage (Saviors of Uldum edition)Last updated 5 months, 3 weeks ago
- Archetype Mill Mage
- Format Wild
- Deck Type Ranked
- Views 5548
- Crafting Cost 14280
- Your Cost 14280
Edit: 2nd December 2019. After halting play for November 2019 on the original combo-only version of this deck and instead trying a Highlander build which has been (anecdotally) much more successful on the Wild ladder, I have moved the original combo-only version across to a new deck now called Freeze Mill Mage. I will keep both updated each expansion, but FYI this version of the deck is much less susceptible to aggressive decks than the combo-only version.
Edit: 21st October 2019. I cut Zola the Gorgon and Novice Engineer for Cone of Cold and Skulking Geist.
Edit: 14th September 2019. We (almost) reached 25 upvotes but I had some spare (haha) time so I added basic play tips as promised! Next stop, 50 upvotes for more advanced play tips.
Edit: 1st September 2019. Luna's Pocket Galaxy is out. 7 Mana do nothing isn't great for this deck. I'm running a second Blizzard at the moment until I revisit the deck build.
Edit: 25th July 2019. Thanks to everyone for the awesome support on this deck.
Rewards for supporting this deck
Support reward tiers are now as follows:
- 25 upvotes: Basic play tips.
- 50 upvotes: More advanced play tips.
- 75 upvotes: I craft the entire deck golden.
- 100 upvotes: Basic video play guide.
- 500 upvotes: A comprehensive video guide, with wins on the NA Wild ladder (minimum rank 10) versus all 9 classes.
Let's give Mill Mage the love it deserves <3
What is Highlander Mill Mage?
This deck is super fun and finally helped me realise my dream of the best archetype in Hearthstone - Mill Mage. That's right, Mill Mage.
We play a Highlander deck that contains Reno Jackson, Reno the Relicologist, Kazakus, and new MVP Zephrys the Great - who also happens to be an Elemental which is what the rest of the deck is built around!
Here we go!
Complete Open the Waygate using:
- Lesser Ruby Spellstone
- Primordial Glyph
- Shimmering Tempest
- Zephrys the Great
- Kabal Courier
- Vulpera Scoundrel
- Banana Buffoon
- Steam Surger
Neutralise your opponent's threats with:
While staying alive with:
Finally, when you have Open the Waygate ready to go you can play the combo:
Turn 1: Play Archmage Vargoth followed by Time Warp. Do not play any other spells. End your turn.
Turn 2: Play Molten Reflection on Archmage Vargoth and use your hero power on your opponent's face. Archmage Vargoth must be the only minion on your side of the board when you end your turn. Do not play any other spells. End your turn.
Turn 3: Play Violet Illusionist and Drakkari Enchanter. Use your hero power on your opponent's face. Play Research Project. Do not play any other spells. End your turn.
You win! Enjoy! :)
Basic play tips v2.0 (last updated 2nd December 2019)
- If you suspect your opponent is aggro at the start of the game you can choose not to keep Open the Waygate in your opening hand. Being a Highlander deck we can just out-value aggro if we live long enough.
- Always keep Ancient Mysteries. Ice Block is the only secret in the deck, and we want to draw it ASAP.
- Don't (ever) keep Archmage Vargoth, Molten Reflection, Violet Illusionist, or Drakkari Enchanter in your opening hand.
- Polymorph is for Ragnaros the Firelord or Mal'Ganis. Don't let your opponent bait you into playing it on some other minion.
- If your opponent is clearly being greedy with drawing cards, try to keep your hand as empty as possible. Once they have 8 cards in hand it's time to play Coldlight Oracles. This deck isn't called Mill Mage for nothing. We can Mill them during the game as well as at the end!
- If your opponent is at 30 health, you can play the combo and win when they have 8 cards left in their deck.
- If your opponent has no Taunts in the way, you may be able to play the combo when they have as many as 10 cards (or more) in their deck. You will be able to hit them in the face for at least 8 Damage with your 4 x Archmage Vargoths thanks to Molten Reflection.
Advanced play tips
- Unlocked at 50 upvotes
Basic video play guide
- Unlocked at 100 upvotes
Vote On This Deck!
Enjoy this deck guide? Help others find it and show your support to the author by giving it an upvote!30
- 1 Open the Waygate x 1
- 2 Ancient Mysteries x 1
- 2 Lesser Ruby Spellstone x 1
- 2 Primordial Glyph x 1
- 2 Research Project x 1
- 2 Shimmering Tempest x 1
- 3 Arcane Intellect x 1
- 3 Ice Block x 1
- 3 Volcanic Potion x 1
- 4 Molten Reflection x 1
- 4 Polymorph x 1
- 4 Steam Surger x 1
- 4 Water Elemental x 1
- 5 Bonfire Elemental x 1
- 6 Arcanosaur x 1
- 6 Reno the Relicologist x 1
- 9 Frost Lich Jaina x 1