Whispers of the Old Gods Card Spoilers & Expansion Guide
Praise Yogg! Whispers of the Old Gods was the third expansion for Hearthstone! It was released on April 26th 2016 - Patch Notes
Combat the approaching darkness with this set of 134 collectible cards.
- New Gods - Four new legendaries feature the madness of the Old Gods.
- New Mechanic - C'Thun has many followers, and those cultists aim to empower it. A variety of minions interact directly with C'Thun and buff it, wherever it is.
- New Formats - Ranked and Casual matches now have an option of Wild or Standard format.
- Card Changes - In addition to new formats numerous Classic and Basic cards received nerfs due to not rotating out of Standard format.
- New Emote - The 'Sorry' emote has been removed and 'Wow' has taken it's place.
Pre-Order & Free Content
Leading up to release, a bundle of 50 card packs was available for $49.99 USD.
Additionally, some free packs and cards were available to all players at launch.
- Upon opening their first pack from this set, players were granted one copy of C'Thun, and two copies of Beckoner of Evil.
- Three packs were granted to players that logged in before July 5th 2016.
- Logging in for the first time presented you with a quest to earn 5 packs by winning two games in Standard.
- A follow-up quest appeared offering 5 more packs for winning 7 more games in Standard.
Four ancient gods whispering and corrupting creatures and land around them. Each of these legendary minions has a very powerful capability.
- The Battlecry splits it's Attack as damage amongst his enemies.
- Increase the damage of it's battlecry by playing cultists.
- Cultists target C'Thun specifically, and buff it wherever it is in the game. On the board, graveyard, your deck, your hand, your collection, wherever.
- You may use other cards to buff C'Thun as well. The only thing special about the cultists is they target a specific Legendary minion.
N'Zoth, the Corruptor
- Summon up to 6 other minions when you play N'Zoth.
- Decks are usually built around this god with powerful deathrattle minions.
- Cards that copy minions can have good synergy.
- Every deathrattle minion that dies on your board is eligible to be summoned.
- The more copies that have died, the more likely that minion is to be re-summoned.
- The minions are summoned in a random order.
Yogg-Saron, Hope's End
- This is an incredibly random card. Praise Yogg.
- The number of spells cast is equal to the number of spells played.
- All spells played by Yogg-Saron are random and can be any collectible card available in the format.
- On release, the Battlecry was guaranteed to continue until all spells had been cast.
- After being nerfed, Yogg will now cease casting spells if it dies at any point in the process.
Y'Shaarj, Rage Unbound
- As expensive as it is powerful.
- A random minion in your deck is summoned to the battlefield.
- If you have no minions remaining in your deck, this does nothing.
- This is typically used to summon other expensive or powerful minions.
- A common strategy is to attempt to summon a copy of it to pull itself out of the deck.
- Most notable use was in decks like Big Priest.
The Old Gods have influenced many loyal servants dedicated to performing rituals or dark power. These minions directly buff C'Thun, wherever it is. Some of these cultists are empowered themselves and grant you beneficial effects when C'Thun has at least 10 Attack.
C'Thun is obtained for free after opening your first Whispers of the Old Gods card pack.
Standard & Wild Formats
Play modes were divided into separate formats and changed the game significantly. Curse of Naxxramas and Goblins vs Gnomes were made Wild-only.
- Standard Format
- Intended to keep the game from getting too stale over time and allow for better deck variety.
- Less intimidating for new players with a smaller card pool.
- Random effects are also limited to the format's card pool.
- Basic and Classic sets do not rotate out of Standard.
- The format consists of the latest 2 years of expansions.
- When the first expansion of a year is released the 3 oldest sets are removed, leaving only 4 sets of cards.
- Each year will feature a new 'theme'.
- The first Standard year was called the "Year of the Kraken".
- This is the primary format for competitive Hearthstone.
- Wild Format
- Anything goes; all collectible cards in the game can be played.
- A much different metagame than Standard.
- More difficult to keep it balanced with so many cards.
- Can be intimidating if you don't have a vast collection.
- A new button was added to toggle between the two modes.
- When Wild is selected, the UI will become covered in vines.
- New filters were added to the collection for these formats.
- You can choose which format to challenge a friend in.
- If you want to play a deck in Wild, you have to change the type of the deck.
- Changing a deck to Wild can be done by clicking the hero portrait above the card list.
- Wild cards can no longer be purchased from the in-game store, but you can find them on the Battle.net store.
Classic & Basic Card Nerfs
Patch 5.0 came with a hefty bunch of card changes in order to make some classic cards less powerful.
- Ancient of Lore – Now draws 1 card instead of 2.
- Force of Nature – Mana cost decreased from 6 to 5, and the Treants summoned by it no longer have Charge and no longer die at the end of the turn.
- Keeper of the Grove – Health reduced from 4 to 2.
- Ironbeak Owl – Mana cost increased from 2 to 3.
- Big Game Hunter – Mana cost increased from 3 to 5.
- Hunter's Mark – Mana cost increased from 0 to 1.
- Blade Flurry – Mana cost increased from 2 to 4 and only affects Minions.
- Knife Juggler – Attack reduced from 3 to 2.
- Leper Gnome – Attack reduced from 2 to 1.
- Arcane Golem – Health increased from 2 to 4, no longer has Charge.
- Molten Giant – Mana cost increased from 20 to 25.
- Master of Disguise – Stealth granted by this card now only lasts until the start of the next turn.
Click Here To Skip Revealed Cards
Revealed Cards for Whispers of the Old Gods
These are all the cards that have currently been revealed for Whispers of the Old Gods.
Card Backs & Packs
Eyes of C'thun
Clutch of Yogg-Saron