We've got a brand new event in Hearthstone's Mercenaries game mode and it's here only for a limited-time! This time, we'll venture into many dangerous Bounty zones with the aid of N'Zoth, (in)famous Old God that already made its appearance in Hearthstone in Whispers of the Old Gods with N'Zoth, the Corruptor.
Our journey won't be in search of just fame and success, but you'll be able to complete a set of 10 event Tasks, which will reward you coins for N'Zoth and many other goodies.
Here are all the tasks that are available during the N'Zoth Mercenaries event. Click any of the links below to visit our guide for the task.
- Raiding the Shore
- Ice Sculpting
- Requirement: Complete Icehowl Bounty without any Blocks of Ice on the board in Winterspring.
- Reward: N'Zoth Mercenary.
- One with the Void
- Bunker Crashers
- Murlocs in the Valley
- Bones and Golems
- Damage Supreme
- Requirement: Deal 100 damage with N'zoth's Corrupted Viscera in a single battle.
- Reward: N'Zoth Golden Portrait
- Requirement: Complete Emperor Thaurissan Bounty without setting off powdered kegs.
- Reward: 75 N'Zoth coins, 50 Balinda Stonehearth coins.
- Requirement: Complete Heroic Popsicooler Bounty with at least 3 Murlocs in Alterac Valley.
- Reward: 75 N'Zoth coins, 50 Murky coins, 50 random coins.
- Requirement: Land a killing blow with N'zoth's Spawn of N'zoth against Gigafin or Gigafin's Maw in Corrupted Murlocs Bounty in Darkshore.
- Reward: Diamond N'Zoth portrait.
As you can see, these tasks are quite the mixed bag: while some are fairly simple to complete, others require more than a bit of thinking (and luck: that one's always welcome) and planning ahead.
Moreover, certain tasks clearly state that you need Comps consisting of Mercenaries belonging to specific races in order for your progresses to count: while the Leeroy Jenkins event was about Orcs, Humans and Dragons, this time you'll need the help of Humans, Dwarves, Elves, and... Murlocs!
Not all challenges might be as difficult as they seem at a glance: there are usually tips and tricks to be found to make everyone's lives easier. In this series of guides we'll take a look at how to complete each event Task, so that you'll be able to get your hands on all the rewards available. As of now, we'll focus our attention on the current task.
In case you missed them, if you click the banner below you'll have access to each of our task guides for this event.
How to Complete the "Bones and Golems" Task from the N'Zoth Event
- Requirement: Complete Heroic Dragonbone Golem fight triggering at least 10 Deathrattles in Onyxia's Lair.
- Rewards: 60 N'Zoth coins, 50 Nefarian coins, 25 random coins.
- Difficulty: 2/5
Not a particularly difficult task, but in order for us to complete Bones and Golems we'll have to play with the enemy for longer than we'd normally do. In fact, we won't be able to complete this specific task by simply killing Dragonbone Golem and its companions, but we'll also need to do it in a specific way. Before diving into all of this, let's focus our attention on the actual fight.
Bone Drake - The only Fighter of the boss fight, with a Deathrattle that buffs the entire enemy board by +12/+12; it will focus on attacking you through physical damage rather than using strange tricks.
Dragonbone Golem - The actual boss of the fight and a major pain: not because it's very powerful, but because it has a lot of resilience and it keeps spawning Skeletal Flayers. While you'd normally want to get rid of it as soon as possible, we have to keep in mind that this unit will allow us to complete Bones and Golems, so we'll have to put up with it for longer than usual.
Skeletal Flayer - Has a Deathrattle that deals 10 damage to a random enemy, but neither that nor the stat lines are something that should worry you: probably a one-shot or two-shot target whenever you have some spare damage or AoE.
As already said, Dragonbone Golem is the real deal in this fight: it will give all characters random Deathrattles with The Bone Game and then will proceed to trigger some of them (again, at random) with Hang in the Balance.
In order for us to complete Bones and Golems, we need to trigger at least 10 Deathrattles by killing units: Hang in the Balance's triggers won't count towards your goal. Therefore, we'll need to kill at least three waves of Skeletal Flayers before going for the main antagonists's heads.
In conclusion, here's a simple schedule of what you need to do:
- Do not kill Dragonbone Golem immediately.
- Wait for Hang in the Balance to be cast three times and kill all the summoned Skeletal Flayers.
- Clear the board and win the fight.
Here are a few Mercenaries parties you can use to complete the "Bones and Golems" task. You'll be able to choose between many comps, suggested by different content creators, as well as mentions of budget alternatives for our readers that don't have many Legendary Mercs in their collection.
Out of Cards Recommendation - Holy Comp
Since you need to wait for your opponent to hand over the task completion, self-sustainability is a major factor. Speaking of this, our trusted Holy comp won't let you down.
To prove this comp of being fit for this task, we actually recorded a video showing you that you can pull this off with ease.
Here are a few tips for those unfamiliar with this strategy.
- The final fight trio, as well as the climbing one, is Anduin Wrynn-Cornelius Roame-Prophet Velen.
- Start chipping down your enemies while keeping your friendly Mercs healthy will all the healing provided by your units.
- Healing Passives like Circle of Healing 3 are great for sustainability, granting you more time, waiting for the Deathrattle units to spawn.
- As you'll see in a bit, Cookie, the Cook represents a valid inclusion in your party because Go Fish! 1 will spawn additional Deathrattles for you to kill.
Old Guardian's Budget Comp (Budget!)
As usual, Old Guardian provided a budget alternative for those Mercenaries players out there without a large collection. This time, their party revolves around Nature synergy, and in particular Cookie, the Cook. This unit is perfect for the Bones and Golems task, and for a multitude of reasons.
- First of all, Fish Feast 1 is a Nature ability, and therefore enables Guff Runetotem's Living Brambles 1.
- Secondly, Go Fish! 5 summons Deathrattle units - killing them will count towards your 10 triggers goal.
- Climbing comp is Xyrella-Blademaster Samuro-Cariel Roame.
- Final fight comp is Cookie, the Cook-Bru'kan-Guff Runetotem.
- This time, you don't need to worry about keeping Dragonbone Golem alive, as Cookie, the Cook will provide all the Deathrattles you need.
- Threfore, you can start by killing off Dragonbone Golem.
- Secondly, you may want to take down Bone Drake, as you're playing three Casters - a physical Fighter hurts like hell!
- Use Go Fish! 1 to summon Deathrattles on your opponent's board, but do not kill them, otherwise you may end up completing the bounty without reaching your goal.
- Clear all the enemy units with the exception of Cookie's Deathrattles summoned with Go Fish! 1.
- Now that you're in complete control of the match, summon and kill as many Deathrattles you need in order to complete Bones and Golems.
Our clever community members set up a forum thread to share your Mercenaries progression journey, and we have added an #mercenaries channel on our Discord server if you want to talk with others in real-time. If you need an assist, you can also respond to this guide and we'll do our best to help you out; the comments are also a great way to share your own comps that you've used to complete the task above.
Good luck taking on any of these Bounties for those sweet sweet coins or just for the sake of satisfying completion!