We've got a brand new event in Hearthstone's Mercenaries game mode and it's here only for a limited-time! This time, we'll venture into many dangerous Bounty zones with the aid of Y'Shaarj, the strongest Old God (as well as the first to die in World of Warcraft), which already made its appearance in Hearthstone in Whispers of the Old Gods with Y'Shaarj, Rage Unbound.
Our journey won't be in search of just fame and success, but you'll be able to complete a set of 10 event Tasks, which will reward you coins for Y'shaarj and many other goodies.
Here are all the tasks that are available during the Y'Shaarj Mercenaries event. Click any of the links below to visit our guide for the task.
- Mountain Hikers
- Requirement: Complete Baron Geddon Bounty with at least 2 Pirates in Blackrock Mountain.
- Reward: 50 Y'Shaarj coins, 25 Patches the Pirate coins.
- Sustained No More
- Requirement: Land a killing blow on Azshara, Tidemistress and Loyal Myrmidon in one turn in Queen Azshara Bounty.
- Reward: Y'Shaarj Mercenary.
- Beach Day
- Requirement: Complete Acolyte of N'zoth Bounty with 6 Humans in Darkshore.
- Reward: 50 Y'Shaarj coins, 25 Reno Jackson coins.
- Fight Fire with Fire
- No Shivers
- Requirement: Complete Heroic Captain Shivers Bounty with at least 3 Pirates in Darkshore.
- Reward: 75 Patches the Pirate coins, 50 Captain Hooktusk coins.
- Root of the Problem
- Requirement: Complete Ursula Windfury Bounty without Ursula attacking once in Winterspring.
- Reward: 50 Y'Shaarj coins, 50 random coins, 25 Reno Jackson coins.
- Rage Unfound
- Requirement: Kill at least 4 friendly characters using Y'Shaarj's Rage Unbound in a single turn.
- Reward: Random Y'Shaarj Golden Portrait.
- You're a Kid Now
- Requirement: Complete Heroic N'Zoth Bounty with all your Mercs alive in Sunken City.
- Reward: 100 Y'Shaarj coins.
- Tag Team
- Requirement: Complete Heroic Taran Zhu Bounty with at least 5 Pirates in Darkshore.
- Reward: 75 Y'Shaarj coins, 50 Captain Hooktusk coins.
- Visions of Conquest
- Requirement: Deal at least 150 damage in a single turn using Y'Shaarj's Defiled Attack.
- Reward: Diamond Y'Shaarj portrait.
As you can see, these tasks are quite the mixed bag: while some are fairly simple to complete, others require more than a bit of thinking (and luck: that one's always welcome) and planning ahead.
Moreover, certain tasks clearly state that you need Comps consisting of Mercenaries belonging to specific races in order for your progresses to count: while the N'Zoth event was about Humans, Dwarves, Elves, and Murlocs, this time you'll need the help of Humans and Pirates!
Not all challenges might be as difficult as they seem at a glance: there are usually tips and tricks to be found to make everyone's lives easier. In this series of guides we'll take a look at how to complete each event Task, so that you'll be able to get your hands on all the rewards available. As of now, we'll focus our attention on the current task.
In case you missed them, if you click the banner below you'll have access to each of our task guides for this event.
How to Complete the "No Shivers" Task from the Y'Shaarj Event
- Requirement: Complete Heroic Captain Shivers Bounty with at least 3 Pirates in Darkshore.
- Game Mode: Heroic
- Rewards: 75 Patches the Pirate coins, 50 Captain Hooktusk coins.
- Difficulty: 2/5
After Mountain Hikers, this is the second task of the Y'Shaarj event that asks you to complete a bounty with Pirates in your party. However, differently from last time, we'll have to venture into Heroic mode, making things a bit more challenging for us. Just to be clear, we still thinking that No Shivers is a rather easy task, so do not worry too much about the Heroic difficulty or the party-building requirement.
The Captain Shivers final fight is going to be focused, in different ways, on Pirates and Protectors. To be more specific, each of the three enemy units has an aura effect that affects both sides of the board:
- Helen the Cursed - Turn the Merc who acts last each turn into a Protector.
- Captain Shivers - Other Pirates are (4) Speed faster.
- Cutthroat Willie - Protectors take 7 more damage.
Starting from left, Helen the Cursed will turn the Mercenary (any Mercenary: not just among yours) that acts last each turn into a Protector. Although the first downside of such aura effect is that both Helen and Captain Shivers are going to deliver critical damage to that unit, there are other implications: potentially, this is a very troublesome effect.
[Hearthstone Card (Smite Slam 5) Not Found] [Hearthstone Card (Assisted Strike 5) Not Found]
Helen the Cursed works the way it does primarily because of Captain Shivers. Not only the final boss' speed boost (all other Pirates are 4 speed faster) will make Helen's aura effect to be more likely to land on one of your friendly Mercenaries, but it will also put you in a rather unfavorable position, as often times enemy units are going to be faster than you.
Soggy Currrrse is the ultimate payoff: 5 speed deal 30 damage at random enemies, which are guaranteed to hit a friendly Protector in case there is one. Moreover, even if you manage to not play Protectors and dodge Helen's transformation effect, No Negotiation will still give you a Protector.
Finally, we have Cutthroat Willie, another Pirate (meaning that Shivers will make it 4 speed faster) with additional Protector tech: as long as this Fighter is on the field, all Protectors are going to receive 7 more damage every time they are damaged - particularly nutty in combination with Soggy Currrrse.
[Hearthstone Card (Assassin's Blade 5) Not Found]
As you might have noticed, things are pretty rough for Protectors and non-Pirates; however, it has to be said that each of the three enemies' aura effect is not one-sided: just as they benefit (or disadvantage) enemy units, the same will happen to friendly Mercenaries.
Therefore, in an ideal situation you'd want to play as many non-Protector Pirates as you can, but even if you don't want to there are other strategies that are more than viable.
Finally, here are all the Pirate Mercenaries currently available:
- Protectors: Mr. Smite, Sneed, Vanessa VanCleef.
- Fighters: Edwin, Defias Kingpin, Eudora.
- Casters: Captain Hooktusk, Patches the Pirate.
Here are a few Mercenaries parties you can use to complete the "No Shivers" task. You'll be able to choose between many comps, suggested by different content creators, as well as mentions of budget alternatives for our readers that don't have many Legendary Mercs in their collection.
Out of Cards Recommendation #1 - Nature Comp
In order for us to have an easy climb, we decided to use the Nature Comp. Sure, the lack of Bru'kan hurts the party's lethality, but you still have lots of heal thanks to Malfurion Stormrage's [Hearthstone Card (Liferoot staff 4) Not Found] and Guff Runetotem's Living Brambles 1 hits very hard even without a Nature Spell Damage buff.
To prove this comp of being fit for this task, we actually recorded a video showing you that you can pull this off with ease.
Here are a few tips for those unfamiliar with this strategy.
- Climbing trio is Malfurion Stormrage-Guff Runetotem-Cookie, the Cook.
- For the final fight, Captain Hooktusk-Patches the Pirate-Edwin, Defias Kingpin is by a large margin the superior choice.
Out of Cards Recommendation #2 - Pirate Comp
We tried to go all in with Pirates and, let us tell you, they're pretty good: in particular, Patches the Pirate and Edwin, Defias Kingpin are very, very efficient!
To prove this comp of being fit for this task, we actually recorded a video showing you that you can pull this off with ease. Unfortunately, the gameplay is not optimal this time (I lost a Merc in the climb and made a couple mistakes during the final fight), but we were still able to close the deal by a large margin.
- For the climb, you want play the Pirates you think are advantaged the most against the enemy units.
- However, Edwin, Defias Kingpin always needs to stay on the board: Black Flag 1 is just that good.
- For the final fight, we advise you to play Edwin, Defias Kingpin-Patches the Pirate-Captain Hooktusk.
Out of Cards Budget Recommendation - Dragon Comp
Short on budget and you need to deal a ton of damage to Casters? Sinestra and Nefarian have your back!
- For the climb, you want to use Sinestra-Nefarian-Yu'lon.
- For the final fight, switch to Sinestra-Nefarian-Patches the Pirate.
- The two Pirate Mercs won't play a relevant role in the bounty, so we included the cheapest two.
- In the end, you can include what you prefer; however, Patches, Edwin and Hooktusk are the superior picks.
Our clever community members set up a forum thread to share your Mercenaries progression journey, and we have added an #mercenaries channel on our Discord server if you want to talk with others in real-time. If you need an assist, you can also respond to this guide and we'll do our best to help you out; the comments are also a great way to share your own comps that you've used to complete the task above.
Good luck taking on any of these Bounties for those sweet sweet coins or just for the sake of satisfying completion!
Am I missing something about the Dragon party? Because last time I checked, Cookie is not a pirate.
He is, but only at heart!
So true. I lost Eudora and Mr. Smite in my climb but those three finished the boss fight on their own. Hooktusk died in the end but that didn't matter because I was only facing the last remaining unit - Cutthroat Willie - then.