In today's Season 2021 Stream, Jeff Jew spoke about the next event coming to Legends of Runeterra. While he didn't explicitly announce anything, he dropped some very strong hints.
Finally, we had a blast working with The League Team on Spirit Blossom and we’re excited to partner with them again. But they would ruin me if I said anything else. Like, seriously, I don’t even think I’d be mist.
For those of you who cannot watch the video above, he over-emphasizes the clue words shown in bold above. And if that wasn't obvious enough, a clip of The Ruination spell is shown immediately afterwards. Riot later revealed their 2021 LoR Roadmap which includes "Expansion Event Pass" in March.
Riot has been teasing a lot of Ruination-themed updates lately; let's recap everything we know so far.
If you have not yet read FrostyFeet's guide on the lore of Shadow Isles and the story of The Harrowing, now would be a great time to catch up.
We now know the name of the arrogant king who accidentally caused The Ruination and created the Black Mist: Viego. We also know that Lucian and his wife, Senna, have been actively fighting the mist. Riot provided some background to this fight in the recent story, Redeemed. From a new cinematic, we now know that Senna possesses the soul of Viego's queen and is fighting to keep it from him, defiantly proclaiming "You will destroy this world."
At the end of the cinematic, it is implied that Lucian and Senna are seeking allies to go up against Viego, rescue the queen's soul, and restore balance.
League of Legends
Some of the strongest feedback from League of Legends' Spirit Blossom Event was that players liked the role story played in the event.
Finally, one of the things that made Spirit Blossom stand out from other events was that it was centered around the lore of Runeterra. We’ve gotten feedback that you want to see Runeterra’s stories move forward, the world evolve, and League's champions continue their journeys.
Legends of Runeterra shared both the Spirit Blossom and K/DA All Out events with LoL, and we expect they'll also share this next event as well and that story will play a big role in both games. There are also multiple ruination-themed changes coming to LoL.
- Viego will be LoL's 154th champion. He will be released in League patch 11.2 (January 21st) and is described as a jungle-skirmisher hybrid.
- The following 3 LoL champions will be tied to Viego's story
- 3 new "ruined" skins will also be released: Ruined Karma, Ruined Draven, and Ruined Shyvana.
Ruined King: A League of Legends Story
This is an upcoming single-player game set in Runeterra inviting players to "unite a party of League of Legends Champions to uncover the secrets of the deadly Black Mist".
Developed by Airship Syndicate and featuring the art style of legendary comic book artist Joe Madureira, creators of Battle Chasers and Darksiders, Ruined King: A League of Legends Story is the first Riot Forge game that invites you to explore the League of Legends universe. In this immersive turn-based RPG, you will have the freedom to configure your party and control an unlikely group of League of Legends champions, explore the bustling city of Bilgewater and the mysterious Shadow Isles, and experience the Lane Initiative System.
- It will be a turn-based RPG style game
- Playable characters include Miss Fortune, Illaoi, Braum, Pyke, Ahri, and Yasuo
- It will support PS4, PS5, Xbox X and S, Nintendo Switch, and Steam
- Its release date is currently described as "Coming 2021"
During the Teamfight Tactics segment of the Season 2021 reveal stream, TJ Bourus teased the next set.
This Spring we’ll launch our next set, and bring you into TFT’s most dramatic setting yet. Corruption is nigh and the balance between Good and Evil has tilted. The rising tension could yield grave consequences in the convergence so we'll need you to help restore the balance.
During this part of the stream, clips of "spooky"-themed champion skins were shown including Little Devil Teemo from LoL's 2016 Harrowing event. The release date of "Spring" aligns with the LoR season pass date of March. TFT also shared the Spirit Blossom event with LoL and LoR, so it will likely share this Harrowing-themed event as well.
Legends of Runeterra
While Legends of Runeterra hasn't explicitly revealed anything aforementioned tease, it is worth pointing out that Runeterra already contains several important cards pertaining to The Ruination story.
- Commander Ledros, Hecarim, and Kalista all served under Viego just before he unleashed The Ruination.
- Lucian and Senna are Viego's strongest opponents.
- Several powerful SI spells are themed around the Ruination and the Black Mist, including The Harrowing, Mist's Call, and of course The Ruination itself.
Are you excited for this upcoming event? Let us know below!
Season 2021 Coverage
Check out all our coverage of Legends of Runeterra's Season 2021 announcements!
- Season 2021 Opening Day - Legends of Runeterra Live Recap
- Riot Changes the Legends of Runeterra Roadmap for 2021
- Shurima Confirmed as Legends of Runeterra's Next New Region
- Co-Operative Lab Experience Arrives Next Week on January 13 - Here's What We Know
- Everything We Know About Runeterra's Next Ruination Themed Event
- How Champion Mastery Works in Legends of Runeterra