Champion Mastery is a new progression system in Legends of Runeterra that was introduced alongside the Empires of the Ascended set launch on March 3rd, 2021.
What is Legends of Runeterra Champion Mastery?
Champion Mastery is a progression system in Legends of Runeterra that unlocks new cosmetics for your champions based on how much you play them.
- Your mastery of champions is tracked in your collection under a new tab called "Mastery".
- You earn Mastery Points ("MP") upon completing matches. These points level up your champions from your deck.
- The maximum level of Mastery for each champion is 5. Your champions start at Mastery Level 0.
Below you'll see the different icons displayed under your champions based on their level from 0 up to the max, 5.
Earning Mastery Points (MP)
MP is awarded at the end of every match for each of the champions in your deck. In Vs Player games (Normal or Ranked), a win will award 40 MP for each copy of the champion in your deck (e.g., 120 MP if you have all 3 copies). You will also receive an additional 20 MP if you leveled up the champion, regardless of whether you won the game or not. The amount of MP will vary slightly from these amounts in other game modes.
- Vs Player will award the nominal amount of base MP per match
- Expeditions awards more base MP the most base points to compensate for not being able to run as many copies of Champ cards
- Vs AI will award 50% of the MP that normal Vs Player matches would (20 MP per copy per win, 10 MP per level up)
- Vs Friend will also award less base MP than Vs Player
- Labs will not offer any MP
The fastest way to earn MP for any specific champion is to find a competitive deck that runs 3x copies of that champion and then just play a lot of games with that deck in either Ranked or Normal matches. This will award you 120 MP for each win -- e.g., 8 wins will progress you from Level 0 to Level 1. Don't worry about leveling the champion -- while the additional 20 MP helps, most of your MP will come from wins.
In this example, there are 3 copies of Elise, 2 copies of Azir, and 1 copy of Hecarim. Azir leveled, but neither Elise or Hecarim did.
Every champion starts at Level 0 (no crest) and can be progressed up to Level 5.
- Progressing from Level 0 to Level 1 will require 900 MP.
- Progressing from Level 1 to Level 2 will require an additional 1,100 MP (2,000 total)
- Progressing from Level 2 to Level 3 will require an additional 2,500 MP (4,500 total)
- Progressing from Level 2 to Level 3 will require an additional 4,500 MP (9,000 total)
- Progressing from Level 4 to Level 5 will require an additional 9,000* MP (18,000* total).
*Level 5 values are yet to be confirmed in-game*
You can view your Champion Mastery levels by going to the home screen, clicking on your circular Player Icon in the top-left corner, and then clicking the "Mastery" tab.
What Cosmetics Are Available Through Champion Mastery?
These levels will display as a Mastery Crest at the bottom of the cards themselves. The Mastery Crest will appear on the "Versus" screen splashed at the start of each match, when inspecting a deck, or when viewing the corresponding Champion card either during a match or in your collection.
Here's what Jarvan IV looks like at Mastery Level 1.
It is possible the Champion Mastery system will also award additional cosmetics in the future -- for example, Champion Mastery in LoL allows players to use a special emote. Jeff Jew has stated that they want us to be able to "style on our opponents" so we're expecting something very flashy.