The Historic Challenge returns to MTG Arena this weekend! The better you perform the more rewards you'll get - will you take the gamble?
- The entry fee is 10000 Gold or 2000 Gems.
- The event lasts for 53 hours (Jan 11, 11:00 ET to Jan 13 13:00 ET)
- Your run lasts until you cap out at 8 wins or take on 3 losses.
- The format is Traditional Historic, best-of-3 matches.
Historic Challenge Reward Structure
High risk, high reward! This is an incredible amount of prizing available if you can pull off some serious wins. The better you do, the more rewards you're going to get! Everyone gets at least the Treasure Hunt Sleeve and 4 Historic rare Individual Card Rewards (ICRs).
- 8 Wins: 40 Historic booster packs, 15,000 Gold, Treasure Hunt Sleeve and Gaea’s Cradle Sleeve
- 7 Wins: 20 Historic booster packs, 10,000 Gold, Treasure Hunt Sleeve and Gaea’s Cradle Sleeve
- 6 Wins: 12 Historic booster packs, 8,000 Gold, Treasure Hunt Sleeve and Gaea’s Cradle Sleeve
- 5 Wins: 8 Historic booster packs, 6,000 Gold, Treasure Hunt Sleeve and Gaea’s Cradle Sleeve
- 4 Wins: 4 Historic rare Individual Card Rewards (ICRs) 4,000 Gold, Treasure Hunt Sleeve
- 3 Wins: 4 Historic rare ICRs, 3,000 Gold, Treasure Hunt Sleeve
- 2 Wins: 4 Historic rare ICRs, 2,000 Gold, Treasure Hunt Sleeve
- 1 Win: 4 Historic rare ICRs, 1,000 Gold, Treasure Hunt Sleeve
- 0 Wins: 4 Historic rare ICRs, Treasure Hunt Sleeve
Booster rewards will be evenly distributed among Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan, Dominaria, and Core Set 2019 boosters. Historic ICRs grant cards from previous Standard sets on MTG Arena. They do not include cards that were never considered Standard legal on MTG Arena (e.g. cards from Historic Anthologies). Historic rare ICRs may upgrade to a mythic rare (1:8).
Historic Challenge Entry Fee
If you want to participate in this weekend's event, it'll set you back 10000 Gold. If you don't have the Gold, you can enter with 2000 Gems. The cheapest way to obtain 2000 Gems is to spend $15 for 2350 Gems ($10 + $5 package), which honestly isn't that bad if you can go far in your run.
What is the Expected Value of Historic Challenge?
SmartyCat12 on the MagicArena reddit did the math!
- You should expect to double your value put in provided you play a ton of runs.
- You'll need to win 5 matches before you start to earn back value.
|Wins||Probability||Reward Value (gold)||Reward - Buy-in||Expected Value|
|0||0.04666||450 g||-9550 g||-445.56 g|
|1||0.08958||1450 g||-8550 g||-765.90 g|
|2||0.11466||2450 g||-7550 g||-865.69 g|
|3||0.12231||3450 g||-6550 g||-801.10 g|
|4||0.11741||4450 g||-5550 g||-651.64 g|
|5||0.10520||14000 g||4000 g||420.81 g|
|6||0.08977||20000 g||10000 g||897.72 g|
|7||0.07387||30000 g||20000 g||1477.40 g|
|8||0.24054||55000 g||45000 g||10824.17 g|
If you're a newer player, stay away and focus on buying cards that are in Standard!