Riot Games has announced a new card game - Legends of Runeterra!
- You can currently pre-register for access right now! Preview Patch launches tonight.
- The Preview Patch has core gameplay, matchmaking, region rewards, a vault, and quests.
- The November Patch will include Drafting and More Player Invites.
- The game launches sometime in 2020.
- You'll be able to play on PC, iOS, and Android. Preview appears to be PC only.
What We Know About Legends of Runeterra
- Skill Above All - It's all about the choices you make and the risks you take. Every move matters and the outplays are all up to you.
- Craft Your Strategy - Combine, adapt, and experiment with frequent new releases for every region in an always-evolving meta.
- Your Cards, Your Way - Earn cards for free as you play or buy exactly what you want in the store— you’re in control of your collection.
- Decks consist of 40 cards.
- You may use up to 2 regions in your deck.
Start of the Game
- You'll get 4 cards from your deck (of 40 cards) and may choose to mulligan them on an individual basis. There is no mulligan penalty.
- Your "health" will be set to 20 at the start. This is called your Nexus.
- The player that goes second does not receive compensation for doing so.
- Every round you alternate actions with your opponent. They play a card, you play a card
- One player goes on offence, one on defence.
- The player on offence gets to make a play. They can play a card, or attack.
- If they play a card, the defending player gets to play a card. Then they can choose to play a card or attack again.
- If they attack, defending player chooses blockers.
- There was also some sort of from hand buffs step going on during attacking.
- You can purchase individual cards in the shop - no pack RNG!
Types of Spells
There are three types of spell cards.
- Slow Spells - Used before or after combat.
- Fast Spells - Used before, during, or after combat. Can queue up multiple in a row.
- Burst Spells - Used before, during, or after combat. If you cast one, your turn won't end!
Legends of Runeterra Roadmap
Legends of Runeterra Cards
Each card is a part of a different region of Runeterra. You can see all the cards in our Legends of Runeterra card database.
- Shadow Isles - Death and Sacrifice
- Ionia - Storm of Steel
- Piltover & Zaun - Machinations and Mayhem
- Demacia - Magical Might
- Noxus - All-Out Assault
- Freljord - Frozen Fortitude
Decks may have multiple regions, much like how in magic you can use multiple types of lands.
Shadow Isles Cards
Piltover & Zaun Cards
League of Legends 10th Anniversary Livestream
Out of Cards Plans for Legends of Runeterra
Expect a deckbuilder in the near-future and more dedicated pages for the game!