Changes to the Forbidden & Limited List have been announced for the OCG. Though the format is unique in its own way, some changes could inspire the future decision we might be seeing for the TCG and Master Duel. This time around, Konami was certainly out for blood, as we see them primarily limiting the key cards of the most powerful meta strategies. The official information can be found on Yu-Gi-Oh's JP page.
Arguably the reason Adventurer became so popular in the first place was thanks to Gryphon Rider. With that gone, the next best alternative would be Illegal Knight, which despite its name, is still allowed at 3 copies per deck. Realistically though, this spells the end for the Adventurer Engine.
- Swap Frog - previously unlimited at 3
- Agido the Ancient Sentry - previously unlimited at 3
- Keldo the Possessed Statue - previously unlimited at 3
- Spright Jet - previously unlimited at 3
- Herald of Orange Light - previously unlimited at 3
- Yata-Garasu - previously banned
- Primeval Planet Perlereino - previously unlimited at 3
- Spright Starter - previously unlimited at 3
- Floowandereeze and the Magnificent Map - previously limited to 2
- Time Seal - previously banned
Almost a dozen limits! The two main archetypes of Spright and Tearlaments have taken quite a hit in consistency. Both in regards to their own cards, but also supplementary additions, such as Swap Frog for persistent swarming, and the powerful self-milling of Ishizu's Agido and Keldo. In other news, following the path of the TCG, we can celebrate the freedom of Yata-Garasu and Time Seal for yet another format.
- ABC-Dragon Buster - previously limited to 1
- Double Iris Magician - previously limited to 1
- Water Enchantress of the Temple - previously limited to 1
- Tearlaments Havnis - previously unlimited at 3
- Dimension Shifter - previously unlimited at 3
- The Phantom Knights of Torn Scales - previously limited to 1
- Lightning Storm - previously unlimited at 3
In true OCG fashion we get an abundant amount of semi-restrictions. That comes with another small hit to Tearlaments, while archetypes that used to benefit from the Adventurer Engine are slightly lifted.
- Genex Ally Birdman - previously limited to 2
- Danger!? Jackalope? - previously limited to 2
- SPYRAL Resort - previously limited to 2
- Sky Striker Mecha - Widow Anchor - previously limited to 2
- Magical Meltdown - previously limited to 2
Lastly, more old archetypes have been removed from the banlist. Even if none of these will have a large impact on the meta, it's nice to make the semi list slightly less crowded.
What's your take on this new banlist? Share you thoughts in the comment section below!