Signature cards are one of the most relevant novelties for the upcoming March of the Lich King expansion: as previously covered in our dedicated article, they represent a totally new cosmetic avenue for collectible cards. Here is the most important information regarding them:
- For March of the Lich King, all Signature cards look icy.
- However, their style will change in the future based on the expansion's theme.
- Signature cards feature alternative card arts.
- Signature cards can’t be crafted, nor can they be disenchanted.
- There is some overlap between certain Diamond and Signature cards.
- They can only be found in packs or earned through special means (as part of seasonal events, promotions and shop bundles).
- If you want to find them in regular packs, you'll have a 1 in 181 chance to open one! Special Golden Signature packs will exist.
- March of the Lich King will debut with 18 Signature cards, 15 of them being of Legendary quality.
- The 3 non-Legendary Signature cards will be rewarded as part of an upcoming in-game event, celebrating March of the Lich King's launch.
- Two of these will be available on the new Tavern Pass: Death Knight Legendaries Lady Deathwhisper and Lord Marrowgar.
- Signature cards will benefit from the new Improved Duplicate Protection.
- If you obtain a card you already own a disenchantable lower quality version of, the game will ask you to re-roll the lower quality for another card of the same rarity, quality and set.
- Example: if you unpack a Signature Alexandros Mograine while already owning its regular version, you'll be asked if you want to trade the regular Mograine for another random March of the Lich King Legendary you don't own yet.
All Upcoming Signature Cards - Regular & Alternative Versions
In case you'd like to take a look at all of the new Signature cards coming for March of the Lich King (and Path of Arthas in a single instance), make sure to keep scrolling, as we have them displayed in the same place.
- Every Signature card is sorted by class, so that you'll have less trouble telling them apart.
- Every class has received a Signature Legendary - Mage got a Rare as well in Arcsplitter!
- We showcased the "regular" version of the card next to the Signature quality one, so that you'll be better able to appreciate the differences!
How to Make Signature Cards Appear in Your Comments
Now that the site successfully features Signature cards, our readers might ask: How do you make them appear in the comments? The answer is quite simple!
Use the usual [card] or [cardimg] bbcodes and add a "signature" argument ("sig" should also work), like this:
- [card signature]Alexandros Mograine[/card] will give you Alexandros Mograine
What do you think of these Signature cards? Is there one you'd love to open from your packs? Share your opinions and wishes with us in the comments!
Art is cool, but frame looks bad. Frame actually make the card looks worse, than without it.
What do you mean by "icky?" and does this imply that they will change appearance every expansion?
"Icy", as in "cold", "dark", "gloomy".
Team 5 mentioned Signature cards changing with the expansion since the very beginning, so yes: there's a very high chance that the next expansion will feature Signature cards with a different style.
#Update: Just a quick note - our initial draft of this article did not include the Signature version of Grand Magister Rommath (turns out Mage gets two cards of the type, such special treatment). Avalon has already updated everything some several hours ago, in case you didn't catch it.
Sorry for missing it at first! This was a higher advanced level of math required than just counting to 10.
That's strange, I swear I saw Celestalon talking about how Halduron Brightwing couldn't have a signature card coz of the artwork. Did I miss something?
Almost! Halduron's art did not allow the Diamond treatment, not the Signature one, especially because Signature cards have totally different arts!
I would love to have this style for all cards, but with the regular colors like standard cards.
For the longest time I've preferred the standard cards, no golden, no diamond and now no signature cards. It just looks better and more put together that way, imo. If you own a "higher version" of a card, I think you should be allowed to use the basic version of the same card if you wanted.
How much budget goes into Gwent animations?
At least put some color into the Signature ones.
i was under the impression that the grayscale art is a stylistic choice for this set's signature cards specifically. sort of like the showcase art for the most recent innistrad sets in mtg
(i like it, personally)
It is a stylistic choice for this set.
Each viewing endears these cards to me a little more. Having full art on a Hearthstone card is so, so cool. Better art than the original, for almost all of these. Not only are the colors consistent - and much appreciated in comparison to Diamond cards - but they'll change with each expansion. Somehow these are both simple and fantastical.
If I had to field a complaint, I'd ask that rare and uncommon signatures be dropped two-at-once from packs - a regular rare next to a Signature rare in your hand will feel ... ew. The top border is also pretty thicc. I'd prefer to have more art and less border.
All in all, absolutely love these. I was on the fence about the Mega Bundle - no more!
The non-Legendary Signature cards are coming from the Lich King event that'll start when the expansion drops; you shouldn't get them from packs (at least, hopefully not >_<). Seen here:
Can't speak for future expansions, but I'm guessing they'll maintain this thought process. You want a Signature pull to be an exciting Legendary.
But even if you do, it should be ok right?
Since they implemented the free re-roll of the disenchantable version of the card.
Thank you, link! That's good to know.
I can see many are not fans of these signature cards.
But really, some of these are just better artwork than the normal cards. Arcsplitter in particular, in the normal card looks like hes taking a shit, whereas in the signature card it looks at least dynamic. And this can be said about many others. Lady Deathwhisper's signature artwork looks much better, because I have no idea what the normal art's pose is doing.
What Im really curious about is how these cards appear on the board. Because the traditional circle surely doesn't work the same way, and the lack of color will more likely irritate than anything else.
I think diamond cards are a bit distracting to be honest. Never was a fan of the diamond rim, but these look neater if nothing else.
Only a few of these signature cards look better than their original versions. I really do not want these cards 'polluting' my card collection. I might skip the mega-bundle completely if I cannot disenchant these.
Wow, a lot of those look so cool! Alexandros Mograine looks amazing on the horse, Dar'Khan Drathir: Just look at that facial expression, Lor'themar Theron looks even more like he's in the middle of the action when compared to his normal art, Halduron Brightwing Looks way cooler when he's actually aiming at something instead of firing a volley of arrows.
I was a bit unsure about the signature cards so far, but they look very good! Of course there is always room for improvement, but that was to be expected. But regardless, i really appriciate these signature cards. (The art looks so good!)
i kind of wish they werent in greyscale
I think the Death Knight cards look good, but Liadrin just doesn't pop without her colors. A shame they couldn't have two separate filters - one for Death Knights and one for Silvermoon.
Is it just me that find it weird to already be receiving alternate card art, for cards we have yet to familiarized with?