Remove Ads - Go Premium

Written In The Cards - Card Design Competition Discussion Thread

• ShadowsOfSense's Avatar Community Manager 485 272 Posts Joined 10/23/2018
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Competition Theme: Written In The Cards

We've created a lot of cards - it's time to let the cards do the creating for once!

• You must create a card which generates a unique token
      • Summoning, adding to hand, shuffling into your deck - these all count!
    • The token cannot be one that already exists

Congratulations to Hearthcards on their 10 million card milestone! Here's to 10 million more!

As always, I can be reached through Discord or here on the site via PM if you have any issues to report.

Competition Phases

Here are the phases of this card design competition

• Submission Phase: Starts on Mon, Jun 22 18:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Sat, Jun 27 18:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Voting Phase: Starts on Sat, Jun 27 18:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Sun, Jun 28 17:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Finalist Phase: Starts on Sun, Jun 28 18:00 EDT (GMT -0400). Runs until Mon, Jun 29 18:00 EDT (GMT -0400)
    • Winner Selected: After finalist voting concludes and we validate votes.

Discussion Thread Rules

Please note: This is a special competition and not in a normal season.

Welcome to the site!

• BasilAnguis's Avatar Kobold 350 176 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Do we need to explain what the token does in the original card?

I'll boop you 

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 625 870 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago
    Quote From BasilAnguis

No, you can just post the token with the original card.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 595 951 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago
    Quote From BasilAnguis

If you want to. The provided example of Elise doesn't actually do that, so I would say you're fine without.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator Draconically Dedicated 595 951 Posts Joined 02/09/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

I'm trying to add to the Libram archetype by creating the "ultimate" end-game Libram, but I'm not sold on it right now. The archetype lacks an exit-strategy besides simply outlasting one's opponent, and the creation of a strong Immune minion might help: it creates a ticking-clock against certain decks that cannot deal with the minion. I made Libram of Courage cost 15 so you actually had to invest in the other Libram-reducers, so people could not run Yrel by herself and get away with it. Might not be the best idea; let me know what you think.

If you have the time, you should totally check out our weekly Hearthstone card design competitions! :D

• KANSAS's Avatar Oko 1020 1953 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Here is my first idea for the competition. It may be a bit complicated and it has multiple tokens so I may not submit it.

There are 3 Contracts, and she will give you one depending on your faction. They all have big upsides that helps that faction, but they also have big downsides to negate part of the upside. So I was thinking for the Grimy Goons she could give all minions in your hand +3/+3 but then destroy a random minion in your hand. For Jade Lotus she could give all of your Jade Golems +3/+3 but then destroy the next Jade Golem you summon. And for the Kabal she would add 3 potions to your hand but then counter the next spell you cast.

I am not 100% sure on the balance or numbers, I don't even have a name for the card (Shady Dealer has already been taken). I really just want to see if this concept works.

First rule of the English language: Their our know rules.

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Quote From KANSAS

Here is my first idea for the competition. It may be a bit complicated and it has multiple tokens so I may not submit it.

I like the idea of making a dark bargain - I like the Grimy Goons one in particular - but when I think of "contracts" I think of Unidentified Contract first. Might just be me, but it could be a problem.

• R's Avatar Design Finalist 240 7 Posts Joined 04/23/2020
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Show Spoiler
    "KING'S LIFE MATTERS."

White KingWhite Pawn

Is it OP or OK? Difficult to balance stats...

привет
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Simple concept that fits the stealth theme that rogue got this expansion.

I'll boop you 

• Nirast's Avatar 325 265 Posts Joined 04/01/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Some feedback:

Show Spoiler

linkblade91: Love the idea,  but permanent Immunity is a little iffy. There are very few ways to deal with them at the moment (The Amazing Reno and Twisting Nether are the main ones). I'd just give it Immune while attacking.

KANSAS: Interesting idea, but you're going to have problems with uploading tokens. Also, what about Demon Hunter?

R: This looks good, but there could be some nutty combos with Defile. Otherwise, nice concept.

BasilAnguis: I'm really against giving something permanent Stealth. Put this on something like an Emperor Thaurissan and you have an infinite value generator. 'Stealth for 1 turn' is plenty.

• anchorm4n's Avatar HearthStationeer 585 742 Posts Joined 03/13/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

I find Token generating themes especially difficult because I struggle to find matching art. Here's what I found:

Submitting legendaries (and highlander at that) usually doesn't get you far, but I have no better idea for the moment. I'd be grateful for feedback and will provide my thoughts on your cards later.

Double the pride, double the fall.

• DestroyerR's Avatar Design Champion 260 301 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

usually i’m too much of a lazy bum to give feedback, but given the occasion i’ll try my best. here’s my card btw (does the submission program allow 4 tokens?)

“refresh” basically means “reset your deck to what it was at the start of the game” 

Show Spoiler
    linkblade91 - +1 star for formatting/flavor, +1 star for balance, but no star for the idea, since i feel like it’s just a little too crammed with effects for no real reason other than just beefing the card up, both in the original card and in the token. overall 4/5

KANSAS - not enough for formatting/flavor star yet (needs name/token art), not sure on the balancing star, but +1 star for the neat idea. overall 3-4/5, 3-5/5 after name and arts

R - no star for formatting/flavor (I think it should be “would” instead of “must”), no star for balance (dealing 4 damage, taking no damage back and summoning a 3/1 rush minion seems op) and +1 star on idea. overall 3/5, 4/5 after formatting change

BasilAnguis - +1 star for formatting/flavor, +1 star for balance, +1 star for the idea (although i think it would be better if dagger wasn’t just ashtongue slayer’s effect) overall 5/5

anchorm4n - +1 star for formatting flavor, not sure on the star for balancing (might be too difficult for dh to go highlander making this useless, but if it’s relatively easy this can be very op) and no star for idea, because it’s honestly pretty boring as far as highlander effects go. overall 3-4/5

Make The Cow King an alternate Warrior skin plz 

• KANSAS's Avatar Oko 1020 1953 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

Someone pointed out that my card doesn't do anything for Demon Hunter. So I am going to scrap that idea and make a new card.

@Linkblade91

Show Spoiler
    I really like the idea of an "Ultimate Libram", but there are some things I would change. For one, I think reducing the cost of Librams by 3 is kind of a lot. 2 Seems like enough. Also, and this is a very very minor thing, but I would increase her attack. That way the Libram she makes will probably summon her again and it creates an extra little synergy between the cards. But all around it is a pretty cool card. People really want Libram Paladin to be good, so that will help you get some high votes.

@R

Show Spoiler
    First off, the wording is wrong. It should say "Whenever this minion takes damage on your turn, summon a 3/1 White Pawn with Rush instead." The main issue I have with this card is that it just feels kind of weird. As far as I know there aren't any cards in Hearthstone that have this kind of ability. Usually, the winning card isn't something that has created a new mechanic, but something that uses existing mechanics in a creative way. I don't think there is anything wrong with the way your card is designed, but something more inside the box might your card get higher votes.

@BasilAnguis

Show Spoiler
    I really like your card. It has good flavor, the token connects with the original card in a great way. The only thing I don't like is that it gives permanent Stealth to any minion, which is a dangerous thing to be able to do for 2 mana. If it gave the minion Stealth until the end of your next turn then you have 2 turns where it is Stealthed and you can play the token on it. Or you could give it Stealth for one turn which reduces the window of opportunity for you to play the token, but it also encourages you to play it in a deck that already cares about Stealth. All around though great card!

@anchorm4n

Show Spoiler
    Pretty strong card. The only thing wrong with the card is that you forgot the period at the end of the token. But aside from that it is great! I would love to see a Highlander deck for Demon Hunter, and I would also support any card that steers them away from aggro, and this card does both! 5 out of 5, great card.

@DestroyerR

Show Spoiler
    I want to like it, but I think in real Hearthstone it would probably need to get nerfed. As we have seen from Archivist Elysiana, adding 10 cards to your deck can make control v control go on forever. This card would do the same thing but worse. I really like the idea of hiding a pot of gold in your deck, but refreshing your deck is too much. Also, if you aren't able to submit all of the tokens, you can always just make it shuffle into your deck randomly.

First rule of the English language: Their our know rules.

• Demonxz95's Avatar Content Squad Card Designer Enthusiast 625 870 Posts Joined 03/19/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago
    Quote From DestroyerR

usually i’m too much of a lazy bum to give feedback, but given the occasion i’ll try my best. here’s my card btw (does the submission program allow 4 tokens?)

“refresh” basically means “reset your deck to what it was at the start of the game” 

Show Spoiler

Show Spoiler
    linkblade91 - +1 star for formatting/flavor, +1 star for balance, but no star for the idea, since i feel like it’s just a little too crammed with effects for no real reason other than just beefing the card up, both in the original card and in the token. overall 4/5

KANSAS - not enough for formatting/flavor star yet (needs name/token art), not sure on the balancing star, but +1 star for the neat idea. overall 3-4/5, 3-5/5 after name and arts

R - no star for formatting/flavor (I think it should be “would” instead of “must”), no star for balance (dealing 4 damage, taking no damage back and summoning a 3/1 rush minion seems op) and +1 star on idea. overall 3/5, 4/5 after formatting change

BasilAnguis - +1 star for formatting/flavor, +1 star for balance, +1 star for the idea (although i think it would be better if dagger wasn’t just ashtongue slayer’s effect) overall 5/5

anchorm4n - +1 star for formatting flavor, not sure on the star for balancing (might be too difficult for dh to go highlander making this useless, but if it’s relatively easy this can be very op) and no star for idea, because it’s honestly pretty boring as far as highlander effects go. overall 3-4/5

I think 3 might be the maximum for tokens, but I'm not completely sure.

Posted 3 weeks ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I made it stealth for only 1 turn and reduced the cost and power of the cards.

I'll boop you 

Posted 3 weeks ago

Feedback

Linkblade91
    Now that's certainly a card right there! Even if the permanent Immunity is slightly dangerous, especially with effects like Lifesteal, I like this card.

KANSAS
    Everything I can say about the Contract card has pretty much already been said. That said, I do enjoy the creativity of the card. Ornery King is better in terms of mechanical complexity. Its effect is cute, although 3/15 is an extremely weird statline (not that I have a problem with weird statlines, but some people might).

R
    R… you ready for some criticism? The phrasing "must" doesn't really make any sense here, and Rush didn't exist in One Night in Karazhan so it doesn't really make sense for this card to use it.

Anchorm4n
    I think Highlander DH is a thing, and I'm sure they'd like this card. Nice job.

DestroyerR
    Ignoring the fact that I don't think there's enough token slots for all 4 tokens, I do quite enjoy this card.

BasilAnguis
    I like the play on words with the card names, and the whole card is "funny" in a good way. Solid card overall I'd say.

And OH BOY have I gone all out with this one.

Tokens

Slaith is a way to represent humanoids transforming into dragons in gameplay. His dragon form keeps the rarity gem as it's technically the "same" card, in a similar vein to the Spellstones or the "worgen" cards from The Witchwood which swap stats in turn they're in your hand.

Aria's dormant condition is almost certainly not perfect, and the card is most likely horribly unbalanced, but that's where I come to you.

• bigcums's Avatar Dragon Scholar 125 76 Posts Joined 07/26/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

The first idea I had. Any feedback? 

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Quote From bigcums

The first idea I had. Any feedback? 

I think you got the rarities mixed up. It looks like Bhouzu is supposed to be the token, and Dark Archivist is supposed to be the collectible card.

Aside from that, it looks super difficult since Warlock doesn't have many ways to copy things.

• Cg8889's Avatar Design Finalist 110 36 Posts Joined 07/19/2019
    Posted 3 weeks ago

First idea that came to my mind:

Fits in with the bounce style of Rogue and also adds value when bounced. Worse case scenario, it's a cheaper Assassinate or Vilebrood Skitterer. Best case scenario, it's a source of board resets as the token does hit all minions. Thoughts are appreciated. 

• CursedParrot's Avatar 285 390 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I decided to make "The Scarecrow" from the Monster Hunt solo content. The idea behind him would be to sacrifice some of your weaker minions to get rid of enemy minions, and then cast "Scythe" to destroy your opponent's remaining high health minions. You can also drop him on turn 6 and sacrifice your board for a board clear on the next round.

It works somewhat similarly to "Plague of Flames" but due to the whole combo being 9 Mana and not requiring you to destroy all of your minions, I think it has significant differences. 

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium