New Priest Minion - Chronobreaker

• Arthas's Avatar 185 459 Posts Joined 03/10/2019
    Posted 6 days, 21 hours ago

A new Rare Priest Minion, Chronobreaker, has been revealed!

Chronobreaker Card Image

Discuss this card below or head on over to the card page to give it a rating!

Learn more about Descent of Dragons

Head on over to our dedicated guide for Descent of Dragons!

Get Cheaper Card Packs

This section contains affiliate links.

If you want to save money when buying Hearthstone packs, you should check out Amazon Coins! It's an easy way to save up to 25% off Hearthstone packs so you can get into the new expansion without worrying about your wallet too much. We've got a detailed guide on how to Get Started with Amazon Coins, but if you've already dealt with them in the past, you can buy some more by clicking right here.

• vprr's Avatar Uther 290 207 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

Comparable to Chillmaw.

Doesn't have taunt, but it also doesn't damage your own board. Seems like an exceptionally powerful tool against any aggressive or midrange deck. Should see lots of play in dragon Priest decks going forward.

• RavenSunHS's Avatar Swamp 455 881 Posts Joined 03/27/2019

This card is in check, as long as Priest doesn't get Play Dead.

• linkblade91's Avatar Global Moderator 255 316 Posts Joined 02/09/2019

If it had Taunt like Chillmaw, I might have given it 5 stars. As it is, you have to activate it yourself; the card is okay, but I think you can do better.

• Koetti's Avatar Island 340 231 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

Long, drawn-out Control Match-ups with Boardclears en masse and an unbelievable amount of greedy cards?

Sign me up!

• IlBelTia's Avatar Wizard 180 196 Posts Joined 06/01/2019

Damages only the enemy minions? Pretty insane.

• frosthearth's Avatar 275 257 Posts Joined 03/18/2019

Very interesting...gives you a reason to try a deathrattle dragon deck

• Meteorite12's Avatar Magma Rager 300 247 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Really doesn’t seem that great since it can be ignored against a swarm. Not having taunt makes it a lot worse

Who needs consistency when you could have fun?

• dembro's Avatar Uther 110 88 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

Anduin, Aggro Annihilator (though this card is harder to trigger without Taunt).

• Drageren's Avatar 220 122 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

yeah, this card really need taunt, without it it's meh card, but it can be good if no mid range dragons in neutral set, coz dragon priest will need some mid drags for synergy also ok with resurrect and reborn. Oh, and very good with Galakrond, good random priest minion.

• meisterz39's Avatar Anduin 275 202 Posts Joined 06/03/2019

This is not necessarily a bad tool for Dragon Priest, but it's worse than Duskbreaker most of the time. With Duskbreaker, the 3 damage came down earlier and was immediate. Best case scenario here is that on turn 6 you hit your opponent with a 3 damage AOE to clear, and then have 6 mana to do what you want with. That's pretty good on its face, but it's not going to stop an aggro deck that has already run over you because your AOE has to wait a turn. Moreover, if you need an AOE on 5, you're typically better off using Mass Hysteria to clear, and if you need single target removal you could use the new Time Rip. The only minor advantage here is that you can play Chronobreaker without a dragon in hand and hope to get one before the effect needs to trigger.

Maybe I'm being unfair here - with tools like Embalming Ritual and Wretched Reclaimer to combo with this, the deathrattle might be better than a battlecry, but I expect that if its good enough to see play in a Dragon Priest deck, that deck will need to be a tempo oriented deck where you can fight for the board in the early turns and set up Chronobreaker as a way to suppress any comebacks from your opponent.

• Farfelee's Avatar Dragon 265 184 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

While not as effective as Duskbreaker for clearing the board, the card is great nontheless. Decent stats with a potential board clear. Even without taunt, the potential clear should force your aggro opoonents to sacrifice their minions so that they can rebuild another board.

The effect being a secret is not really important since your opoonent has to judge it as it being activated same as for Chillmaw.

This card also works with cards such as Wretched Reclaimer, Shadowy Figure or even Reckless Experimenter for the guaranteed immediate effect.

A great card for dragon priest with a good amount of synergies.

More dragons? Yes please!

• DelkoHS's Avatar Bulbasaur 260 263 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Art is amazing though, reminds me of the Galaxy archetype in YuGiOh xd

Strong effect, but it might be too slow for Aggro meta's. Taunt or direct activators might make this card better however.

• Mercynary9's Avatar Gold Supporter 205 169 Posts Joined 03/31/2019

5 Mana feels so slow, Im not sure if the yeti on turn 5 is worth it in trade of dealing 3 damage to all enemies only. Priest is more control oriented class, but in wild, midrange dragon priest does exist I think. So not hurting your own minions are nice.

Bu again, do you really want a yeti on turn 5? thats the most important question. I say the mindflayer legendary is much better than that since it has very good stat body and the priest in wild has already has tons of better midrange minion.

I’l give it a try, but doubt its gonna be great.

• DoubleSummon's Avatar 410 625 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

I think this card is too slow, priest doesn't have many ways to instantly activate it and your opponent can choose to not even trigger it at all (if they have minions with less than 5 attack) and just go face or just trade into this with the board losing the impact of the AOE it's Chillmaw -2 mana  -2/-1 and more importantly no taunt, so it's not that great probably won't be run since it's a deathrattle, unless you have deathrattle support.

• Nona's Avatar 115 72 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Could be an interesting piece of tech, will have to see how the Meta evolves once this set launches.

• ArngrimUndying's Avatar Jaina 350 326 Posts Joined 06/11/2019

This card is weird - I'll certainly give it a tryout in Dragon Priest (really the only deck that can play it since you need a dragon in your hand at all times lest the deathrattle be useless) but i'm not expecting much. 

I made a similar comment on a Warlock card: this class is all over the place in DoD and it'll be interesting to see which (if any) archetypes are viable. You've got Galakrond Priest (Control?), Dragon Priest, Thief Priest, and Deathrattle Priest all getting 2-3 card each, but none of them being the obvious winner. My guess is some Galakrond Dragon Hybrid Priest just carried on how crazy strong Fate Weaver is by itself.

Maybe in the reveal stream we'll see what the designers had in mind and how well it works? I'm just hoping one of them is good enough to put Res Priest back in the box because good lord has Nzoth Wall Priest been an absolute boring, annoying shitshow to play against the last month+. Please let it be over.

• BossWalrus's Avatar 145 48 Posts Joined 06/04/2019
    Quote From linkblade91

If it had Taunt like Chillmaw, I might have given it 5 stars. As it is, you have to activate it yourself; the card is okay, but I think you can do better.

That's where I'm at with it, I think at 5 it's a bit too slow against aggro, but Priest does have Reckless Reclaimer for an easy trigger, so maybe something like that could find it's way working.  Either way it'll be fun to give it a tr

• Freforos's Avatar 135 147 Posts Joined 11/21/2019

I don't think this card is good and at the same time I don't think that this is what priest want. 

Talking about the card itself we already had cards with similar effects and they never were good enough. Is similar to the mage secret, the difference is that here your opponent can go face with all his minion and completely ignore it. If they decide to not ignore it is only because they can trade with the minions that would die anyway and keep one with more than 3 health. 

Basically giving you opponent the choice of what happens and when isn't good, and is even worse if we are talking of turn 5 where things starts to get nastier. 

A proactive dragon would have been more appreciated at this point, i don't see the win condition of a control priest of any kind. If is just running out opponent of resources it will work only versus aggro, hearthstone is far away from the time that "fatigue" decks existed and worked. Now decks generate too much value and most importantly have huge powerspike turns that will close the game even if you would eventually wins the value war. 

Galakrond version can at least use Talanji for a single powerful turn, which i don't know if it will be enough. 

• padoru's Avatar 130 144 Posts Joined 12/02/2019

priest has ways of activating its deathrattle (also can give it reborn).. i think this could be a pretty powerful 5 in control priest. doesnt matter that it doesnt have taunt bc u threaten with a possibility of triggering multiple times

• UnGoroh's Avatar 100 52 Posts Joined 07/26/2019

Obviously this doesn't have taunt. Cards needs to be somehow balanced, ok? This is a strong card in the right deck, not just in every deck.

• AliRadicali's Avatar 400 623 Posts Joined 06/06/2019
    Posted 6 days, 20 hours ago

Sweet googly mooglies, that is one spicy meatball. 3 damage to all enemy minions is worth 4-5 mana alone. This card is like Starfall + Anubisath defender rolled into one card. That is sick.

Yes, it's situational. I guess we're putting lots of dragons in our priest decks now.

Whew. For a second I thought this was a battlecry, not a deathrattle. OK, that makes this card a lot more fair. Still seems pretty busted tho. The fact that it doesn't damage your side of the bard is huge, it means you can proactively drop this even if you have an army.

• Bersak's Avatar 265 194 Posts Joined 06/12/2019

Chillmaw is so much worse! Having the effect as a battlecry is essential.

Chillmaw didn’t see play because aggro just trades the low health minions into it

Winner winner chicken dinner

• mayhern's Avatar 130 142 Posts Joined 07/26/2019

Good, not great. If it had taunt it would be a great card. Don't think it'll see play.

• YourPrivateNightmare's Avatar Swamp 520 860 Posts Joined 03/25/2019

Ah yes, that classic Deathrattle Priest that randomly gets support once in a blue moon. I remember when Chillmaw was occasionally run, but at least that thing had taunt.

Even if you put Reborn or Shadowy Figure into the mix it'S still a pretty slow and unreliable "boardclear"

At best I'd run this in some weird Deathrattle/tempo build where the focus isn't so much board clear but board denial (noone's gonna go wide while this is in play.

Still, at this point Priest has enough decent Deathrattle minions, but no real gameplan. What do I do with all these guys? There's no N'zoth, no Amara and no actual win condition.

I tried having fun once.

It was awful.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.