Remove Ads - Go Premium

New Demon Hunter Minion - Ancient Void Hound

• Arthas's Avatar Black Lotus 460 1100 Posts Joined 03/10/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

A new Epic Demon Hunter Minion, Ancient Void Hound, has been revealed!

Ancient Void Hound Card Image

Discuss this card below or head on over to the card page to give it a rating!

Learn more about Scholomance Academy

Head on over to our dedicated guide for Scholomance Academy!

Get Cheaper Card Packs

This section contains affiliate links.

If you want to save money when buying Hearthstone packs, you should check out Amazon Coins! It's an easy way to save up to 25% off Hearthstone packs so you can get into the new expansion without worrying about your wallet too much. We've got a detailed guide on how to Get Started with Amazon Coins, but if you've already dealt with them in the past, you can buy some more by clicking right here.

Your friendly neighbourhood bot!
    Like what I'm doing? Disable ads and unlock cosmetics with Out of Cards Premium!

• NegativeNemsy's Avatar 170 105 Posts Joined 07/10/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Cool Effect!  Doesn't seem very good for this particular class though (thankfully).  This is countered by Leper Gnomes and Boombots in the late game ironically.

• Me0203's Avatar Funnel Cakes 375 170 Posts Joined 06/13/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Thanks. I love it.

We asked for Big Demon Hunter, and they delivered. This is huge, it gets even bigger, it kills tokens and reduces face damage each turn, and it's a demon, so you can cheat it out and discover it. Imagine summoning two in the same go - that's 20-20+ in stats and a free Consecration at the end of each turn. That's an effect you build decks around. That's an effect that makes Fel Summoner worth your while.

If a minion's health is reduced to 0, I do assume it dies? This'd be a bit broken otherwise.

Better call Thrall!

• BloodMefist's Avatar Design Champion 345 326 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Well, that is quite a large feller.  I still don't see Big Demon DH being a thing with this card, even if it is strong and can be cheated on turn 7 there just isn't the support to let control DH outclass faster DH decklists.  Control decks will have ways of getting of even the largest DH bois, leaving the deck with nothing left.  At most I think big demon DH could be a T3 deck, but I'm not seeing it with the current tools.

• Vandaren's Avatar 345 565 Posts Joined 06/05/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

I guess this is intended to be cheated out, this can be kinda finisher in slow DH deck. But i compare this like a faster Gruul but since it doesnt impact the board that much (maybe killing 1 hp minions) so its hard to imagine this see play.

• JackJimson's Avatar Zombie 300 302 Posts Joined 11/19/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Big DH support!

Interesting card but very slow. This is a 17/17 against a full board with the added benefit of destroying all enemy tokens. The effect is also persistent not a battlecry and needs to be removed immediately (unless opponent has lethal). Insane if drawn by Pit Commander, or cheated out by Raging Felscreamer or Fel Summoner

Most insane if spawned by Warlock Gala by turn 7.

• GoliathTheDwarf's Avatar Content Squad Devoted Academic 515 535 Posts Joined 05/28/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Um, what? Steal?! As in reduce enemy stats and increase my own? I would call it OP, except that would encourage a nerf and I really want to try this out, lol.

Official Lorekeeper and Spinner of Tavern Tales
    Check out the latest lore guide -- Undeath and Necromancy, The Story of the Scourge and Forsaken: Traversing Azeroth

• Meteorite12's Avatar 590 684 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

You know, as much as I absolutely love this card’s art (seriously, this is probably my favorite in a long time) and the effect, I don’t think it’s actually that good. It being summoned by Pit Commander nullifies the effect for a turn, so it’s not too great there, and the point where killing a bunch of low health minions matters is way before this card would ever come out

Who needs consistency when you could have fun?

• PLANETCRUNCH's Avatar Goblin 485 871 Posts Joined 07/19/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

This is a Big Minion that control Demon Hunter was needing for their toolkit.

Not only does it have impressive stats for cost (the legendary dragons save Deathwing are 9 mana 8/8 in stats roughly) but it's AOE effect can sap a significant amount of health and damage from your enemy's board with no way to prevent it.

Once this minion does land on your side of the field, your opponent will be forced to remove it or finish the match on that turn, less your Ancient Void Terror become too big to remove.

That said, this minion doesn't have TAUNT and at turn 9 it's very unlikely that your board will be filled with 1 health minions for this guy to remove. So say your board full of tokens is still around after this minion is played, you can easily play Savage Roar and Bloodlust and go face completely ignoring this minion.

There's also the fact that this minion does not have the Elusive ability, and control matchups will likely have an efficient spell removal for this guy. Mage's have Devolving missiles and polymorph, Shaman also has Devolving missiles and Hex, Warlocks have Siphon Soul and Keli'Dan the Breaker, Priest has Shadow Word: Death, Time Rip, Soul Mirror, Mind Control, Convincing Infiltrator (okay Priest has not worry about this minion, Paladins have Turalyon the Tenured, Equality and Consecration, Warriors have Lord Barov and Whirlwind, or Whirlwind and Execute, Hunters have Deadly Shot, Rogues can bounce it or use Flik Skyshiv to remove it and any copies you might have.

Druids only answer to this minion is in wild with Naturalize, they and other Demon Hunters will be in trouble against this minion.

This minion is an absolute slam pick in Arena. it's Big that just becomes BIGGER. it's perfect

• Sparkinarius's Avatar Devoted Academic 295 186 Posts Joined 07/18/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

The weird thing about Ancient Void Hound is that the more the minion benefits off its effect, the more likely the DH playing it going to lose the game. Ancient Void Hound doesn't do anything to protect the DH the turn they play it, and if their opponent has a wide board the opponent can just usually end the game even if they lose attack on their board. Against slower decks with less minions, the effect does very little and the DH spends their entire turn developing it for it to be removed most of the time by their opponent, giving the opponent initiative. I just don't see an effective use for Ancient Void Hound anyway I slice it, despite how crazy the stats and effect appear to be.

For glory, honor, and gold!

• Tetsuo's Avatar Garrosh 260 262 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Pretty interesting design, and I love that it's another big demon you can throw in a Big DH deck (which I've been trying to make work). That archetype still needs other support to work though, and I doubt this new demon will see play without some bonkers way to cheat it out. I don't think Raging Felscreamer, Fel Summoner, or Pit Commander are enough. 

Legend: Season 74 (Odd Demon Hunter), Season 77 (Bomb Warrior)

• Live4vrRdieTryn's Avatar 185 225 Posts Joined 07/14/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Super cool card but it’s a 9 mana do little. Freaking love it all the same and look forward to the day it can be realistically cheated out. Evolve needed another good 9 drop too

Not to be confused with a Tryndamere main. Marksmen, baby....and Vel Koz.

• DarkFrostX's Avatar 315 455 Posts Joined 07/26/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Glad to see support for big demon DH, although I don't think this is the kind of the demons the deck needs.

• Horus's Avatar Scholomance Scholar 1085 1657 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 3 months ago
    Quote From Me0203

Thanks. I love it.

We asked for Big Demon Hunter, and they delivered. This is huge, it gets even bigger, it kills tokens and reduces face damage each turn, and it's a demon, so you can cheat it out and discover it. Imagine summoning two in the same go - that's 20-20+ in stats and a free Consecration at the end of each turn. That's an effect you build decks around. That's an effect that makes Fel Summoner worth your while.

If a minion's health is reduced to 0, I do assume it dies? This'd be a bit broken otherwise.

You beat me to it, so I'll simply agree and nod.
    Love the artwork too! 

Struggle with Heroic Galakrond's Awakening? I got your back : 

• allthehype's Avatar Scholomance Surveyor 265 401 Posts Joined 07/26/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Looks really obnoxious to me. Yes, it’s really slow but could snowball and actually weakens the opponent’s board. Interesting design but too much stats imo.

• Emptyness's Avatar Supporter 470 525 Posts Joined 03/16/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Big demon hunter is probably the one dh archetype, that I will always consider playing and building a deck for and I will most definitely include this one. 

I like the artwork as well. Not that Scholomance-wackyness. 

“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.” ― George Bernard Shaw

EU Legend: S52 (ZooHeal Lock); S76 (Highlander Hunter);

• YourPrivateNightmare's Avatar Swamp 995 2126 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Remember that one DH card that costs 6 and summons a demon from hand, that everyone sad was way too slow to see play?

Well....guess what we're gonna see a lot more of

I tried having fun once.

It was awful.

• economicaooc's Avatar 285 360 Posts Joined 03/04/2020
    Posted 3 months ago

Watch out if big demon demon hunter becomes good, but otherwise demon hunters have no need for 9-mana cards. (Other than Baku)

This post is discussing the wild format.

The down-vote is an 'I disagree' button, not an insult.

• FieselFitz's Avatar Anduin 495 586 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Interesting Card - defenitely like the Big Demon Hunter Archetype. And because there are some cards that can cheat out minions (like the demon hunter card that summons a demon from hand - i think it was 5 or 6 mana) like this, i think Big Demon Hunter will be a thing - and therefor this card will see play.

The Ability is also very nice.

Challenge me ... when you're ready to duel a god!

• DoubleSummon's Avatar 1025 1877 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 3 months ago

Quite slow honestly the effect is strong but it costs wzy too much.. Need to be cheated out to see play which dh can do.. So maybe it could work. 

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium