New Hunter Minion - Sunscale Raptor

• Arthas's Avatar Black Lotus 735 1758 Posts Joined 03/10/2019
    Posted 1 week, 1 day ago

A new Rare Hunter Minion, Sunscale Raptor, has been revealed!

Sunscale Raptor Card Image

Discuss this card below or head on over to the card page to give it a rating!

Learn more about Forged in the Barrens

Head on over to our dedicated guide for Forged in the Barrens!

Get Cheaper Card Packs

This section contains affiliate links.

If you want to save money when buying Hearthstone packs, you should check out Amazon Coins! It's an easy way to save up to 25% off Hearthstone packs so you can get into the new expansion without worrying about your wallet too much. We've got a detailed guide on how to Get Started with Amazon Coins, but if you've already dealt with them in the past, you can buy some more by clicking right here.

Your friendly neighbourhood bot!
    Like what I'm doing? Disable ads and unlock cosmetics with Out of Cards Premium!

• Tumbleweedovski's Avatar Excited Elf 925 57 Posts Joined 06/12/2019
    Posted 1 week, 1 day ago

Will The Marsh Queen finally be viable?

Arena > Wild > Standard

• Caro's Avatar Dragon 1145 579 Posts Joined 03/12/2020
    Posted 1 week, 1 day ago

This card can represent infinite value for hunter, which hasn't been seen before for the class. This card would likely survive on turn 1 with 3 health, so there's a high chance you'll get good value

• KANSAS's Avatar Old God Fanatic 1635 2520 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 1 week, 1 day ago

I kind of like the idea of a dinosaur Pogo-Hopper for hunter, but in reality it just isn't going to work out.

Obviously, this is much more of a meme-y strategy, but even for a meme deck this will just be too slow and inconsistent to be played. There are simply too many hoops to jump through.

You have to draw a raptor, then damage it and have it survive, then rinse and repeat. The problem is that hunter is bad at drawing, and doesn't really have any way to "ping" the raptors to consistently trigger the frenzy. And even then each raptor is only going to shuffle in 1 raptor, meaning that you will never be able to multiply your raptors and get 50 of them shoved into your deck.

Maybe with Dire Frenzy and a ton of draw you could get this to work, but even if you do manage to pull it off, the reward isn't even that significant.

Carrion, my wayward grub.

• MurlocAggroB's Avatar COMMENT_COUNT_450_HS 920 489 Posts Joined 06/12/2019
    Posted 1 week, 1 day ago
    Quote From KANSAS

Obviously, this is much more of a meme-y strategy, but even for a meme deck this will just be too slow and inconsistent to be played. There are simply too many hoops to jump through.

On the other hand, Dire Mole with a strict upside. I can't imagine Midrange Hunter not using this card.

A man is lying on the street, some punks chopped off his head

I'm the only one who stops to see if he's dead.

Hmm. Turns out he's dead.

• KANSAS's Avatar Old God Fanatic 1635 2520 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 1 week, 1 day ago
    Quote From MurlocAggroB
    Quote From KANSAS

On the other hand, Dire Mole with a strict upside. I can't imagine Midrange Hunter not using this card.

Fair enough. I got a bit caught up in the possibility of infinite value and forgot to actually look at the card :P

One thing you have to consider when adding this to your deck is whether or not you actually want the second copy shuffled in. In some decks, drawing an extra vanilla minion, even one with good stats, isn't ideal later in the game. It all depends on what deck you are playing.  

Carrion, my wayward grub.

• dapperdog's Avatar 1140 1938 Posts Joined 07/29/2019
    Posted 1 week, 1 day ago

The best thing about this card is that its a 1 mana 1/3 beast. And that alone makes it worthy of inclusion into most face hunters, let alone a more tempo beast build. The fact that this one can get bigger is not necessarily a good thing, given that most tempo-face hunters go for face and no one wants a 3/4 in the late game when a Kill Command is needed. That said, if you need a good early game beast, this one comes a calling in spades.

Maybe Tol'vir Warden gets included into core. And then this would be legit a threat to trigger its frenzy

• Brandon's Avatar Old God Fanatic 625 662 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 1 week, 1 day ago

I think this will be an amazing card for hunter, because it's effect is easy to trigger and it has premium 1 drop stats. The only bad thing about Sunscale Raptor is that it needs a lot of draw, which hunters often lack.

Standard: Will see play in Aggro/FACE Hunter because it's a good 1 drop, and it MIGHT see play in some kind of memey Sunscale Raptor deck which would function kinda like Pogo Rogue.

Wild: Even though Hunters in Wild are very rare, i think this will certainly fit in The Marsh Queen hunter, and maybe replace Raptor Hatchling in that deck. (But honestly both might be core cards.) Luckely Sunscale Raptor only shuffles another Sunscale Raptor into your deck, imagine if it shuffled a buffed version of a Zombeast from Deathstalker Rexxar into their deck.. (Thank yogg they thought about that.)

• YourPrivateNightmare's Avatar Swamp 1185 2211 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 1 week, 1 day ago
    Quote From Tumbleweedovski

Will The Marsh Queen finally be viable?

No, this pretty much worse than Raptor Hatchling in Wild

I tried having fun once.

It was awful.

• FieselFitz's Avatar Anduin 615 677 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 1 week, 1 day ago

I think this card will be in almost every hunter deck.

Good Stats for 1 Mana and the ability is pretty good too.

Challenge me ... when you're ready to duel a god!

• YourPrivateNightmare's Avatar Swamp 1185 2211 Posts Joined 03/25/2019
    Posted 1 week, 1 day ago

Dire Mole at worst, an escalating threat at best.

Probably not gonna be used for its intended effect (especially since in Midrange Hunter you kinda don't want some vanilla statted dino in the later stage but rather some bigger or stickier stuff)

Still a good sign for a return to Midrange Beast Hunter (I can't even tell you how tired I am of seeing only Highlander Hunters)

I tried having fun once.

It was awful.

• Synnr7's Avatar 565 110 Posts Joined 07/19/2019
    Posted 1 week ago

The frenzy here just looks like a fun upside. But the card itself is just good. Hunter can always use a tough early beast very effectively. 

Casual Dragon Cardgame enthusiast. 

• UVE's Avatar 840 509 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 1 week ago

1 mana 1/3 beast with an interesting effect.

I think that every Hunter will use them.

By The Holy Light!

• GoddammitDontShootMe's Avatar Face Collector 1100 153 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Posted 1 week ago

1 mana 1/3 is good. If played early, it will almost certainly survive a hit, then you have a 1 mana 3/4 in your deck somewhere. If you're lucky, maybe you'll shuffle in a 1 mana 5/5.

• Anathemos's Avatar Magma Rager 445 77 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 1 week ago

What does “permanent +2/+1” mean? If I play a second-generation (3/4) Sunscale Raptor, does it stay 3/4 after it’s silenced or returned to hand?

• AnAngryBadger's Avatar Design Finalist 555 135 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 6 days, 21 hours ago

I'm pretty sure it just means the buffs will stack, I'd assume it still becomes a 1/3 when silenced regardless of how many times it's been shuffled

• Pezman's Avatar Unwrapped 1430 1178 Posts Joined 06/03/2019
    Posted 6 days, 16 hours ago

Ok, a 1-mana 1/3 is almost always good. Obviously you can look at Dwarven Sharpshooter, Northshire Cleric and pre-nerf Mana Wyrm just to name a few. But Dire Mole saw a lot of play and didn't even do anything! Plus this has a really neat effect.

• doingtheobvious's Avatar Transfer Student 835 366 Posts Joined 06/01/2019
    Posted 6 days, 15 hours ago

Not really relevant for either Format unless it gets more health or Rush.

e: might be good for arena? Some arena buff tell me to shut up if this is not the case.

• JackJimson's Avatar 470 394 Posts Joined 11/19/2019
    Posted 5 days, 5 hours ago
    Quote From Anathemos

What does “permanent +2/+1” mean? If I play a second-generation (3/4) Sunscale Raptor, does it stay 3/4 after it’s silenced or returned to hand?

No is certain yet, but I expect it changes the base stats of a minion. For example Horrendous Growth or Jade Golems. So it immune to silence or sap effects.

As for the card, I expect to see it in hunter decks even for the stats alone. As for the text, I am not too sold on it. I think it depends if they give hunter better card draws on the core set or the expansion. 

The way I understood the text, it will be the base copy shuffled back into your deck. So 3/4 will be it's biggest form.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium