Idea for Genn and Baku Nerfs

• CursedParrot's Avatar 560 675 Posts Joined 05/29/2019
    Posted 1 year, 9 months ago

I think Genn and Baku should be mildly nerfed so that they aren't as powerful in the Wild format. I propose that instead of upgrading your Hero Power or making it cost 1 at the beginning of the game, they instead add a Spell to your hand at the start of the game if you meet their requirement (only odd cards or only even cards) that upgrades your Hero Power or makes it cost 1. Depending on how much of a nerf is needed the mana cost of the spell could be higher or lower, but I think making the Genn Spell 1-Mana and the Baku Spell 2-Mana would be fair. This would slow down the early game power of Genn and Baku decks without making them unplayable or messing with their design. What do y'all think about this potential nerf? Do you have any other ideas about how Genn and Baku could be mildly nerfed?

• LyraSilvertongue's Avatar 355 383 Posts Joined 06/01/2019

I see this all of these complaints about Genn & Baku in wild but I honestly don't see it. With the exception of Odd Pally I really don't see many Genn/Baku decks on wild ladder and Odd Pally counters Big Priest (which is very complained about) so I fail to see why the playstyles need a nerf.

Plus many of the Genn/Baku decks don't even see play at all. Point me in the direct of Odd Warlock, Even Mage, Odd Priest, Even Priest, Even Rogue, Even Druid, Odd Druid, Odd Shaman, Even Hunter, Odd Hunter, Even Warrior, or Even Pally. They are almost non-existent in wild.

That's 12 out of a total 18 Genn/Baku decks that see almost no play in wild. That's not indicative that the playstyle is as big of a problem as people like to suggest. Plus, these decks have to compete against Reno & Dks for the late game. 

• PopeNeia's Avatar Darkmaster 490 604 Posts Joined 07/06/2019

Make Baku cost 10 and Genn cost 7

This ain't no place for a hero

• doingtheobvious's Avatar Transfer Student 870 406 Posts Joined 06/01/2019
    Quote From LyraSilvertongue

I see this all of these complaints about Genn & Baku in wild but I honestly don't see it. With the exception of Odd Pally I really don't see many Genn/Baku decks on wild ladder and Odd Pally counters Big Priest (which is very complained about) so I fail to see why the playstyles need a nerf.

You forgot Even Shaman which is still a top tier deck. That aside, the issue is more that Odd Paladin goes beyond being a counter to Big Priest - it has consistently been a tier 1 deck with few unfavorable matchups for a whole mess of seasons now. No one King should rule forever, et cetera.

That aside I do agree that the functionality of Baku & Genn should be changed to something different. So it is useful for more than just balls out aggro lists, preferably.

Posted 1 year, 8 months ago
    Quote From doingtheobvious

You forgot Even Shaman which is still a top tier deck. That aside, the issue is more that Odd Paladin goes beyond being a counter to Big Priest - it has consistently been a tier 1 deck with few unfavorable matchups for a whole mess of seasons now. No one King should rule forever, et cetera.

That aside I do agree that the functionality of Baku & Genn should be changed to something different. So it is useful for more than just balls out aggro lists, preferably.

Remember that this is wild we are talking about. The entire purpose of the format is fundamentally different than that of standard. Standard more or less is supposed to nerf decks so that they aren't played anymore while wild is an eternal card format. With some Tier 0 exceptions that literally warp the entire meta decks are meant to be combated by introducing new synergies. 

As for new king ruling forever how do you explain the existence of Reno Lock, Jade Druid, Big Priest, Mill Rogue, and to some extents Reno Mage, Non-Reno Control Lock, Cubelock, or even Smorc Shaman? All of these decks have ebbed and flowed in wild but are very consistent reoccurring decks. It seems odd (pun intended) to single out Odd Pally knowing that plenty of top notch decks have thrived in wild for years (Bear in mind going by what I said in the first part of the post up above I am generally not in favor of most nerfs).

We can't be taking a standard format approach/lens and using it to make design decisions for the wild format.

• NightCrawler's Avatar Lava Coil 295 159 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

I agree with Lyra on this one.  The odd/even decks in wild just aren't that bad, especially after they all got nerfs at some point.  They also likely have overvalued winrates on stats sites due to how easy they are to play and the fact that wild is more causal than standard.  They are very consistent with few highroll opportunities and low RNG, which makes them (relatively) pleasant to play against

Furthermore, odd paladin, even shaman and odd rogue aren't that much better than their underplayed, non-odd/even counterparts.  Murloc paladin will always be strong; the new overload synergies make playing tunnel trogg extremely tempting in aggro shaman; rogue has a pirate variant with cannon and a slower battlecry variant, both of which greatly benefit from running sap because it counters "cheating" mechanics

• Watermelon86's Avatar Magma Rager 465 207 Posts Joined 05/29/2019

Point me in the direct of Odd Warlock, Even Mage, Odd Priest, Even Priest, Even Rogue, Even Druid, Odd Druid, Odd Shaman, Even Hunter, Odd Hunter, Even Warrior, or Even Pally. They are almost non-existent in wild.

Here's a few for ya.   And yes these meme decks would be absolutely demolished by a Genn/Baku nerf.  I think they're ok for now and if anything should be changed it should be tweaking some of the upgraded hero powers if they become too problematic, but I don't think even that is necessary right now.

Oh yeah, these Forum Signatures are a thing.

What I was thinking of initially was finding a way to make Genn and Baku decks slower so that they focus more on the cool things you can do with an upgraded Hero Power (like odd mage or combos with odd Hunter) rather than just providing really powerful early game (Odd Paladin), not really on lowering their power levels too much. I know that Blizzard doesn't change cards because they are poorly designed, but I think that Genn and Baku would feel better if their effect were delayed. I thought that by removing the first Hero Power use it could make the Odd/Even bonus something that is more of a late-game bonus than an early game one. Maybe with this change Genn and Baku themselves could be buffed to a 6 mana 6/7 and a 7 mana 7/8, respectively. Or possibly they could give you the effect if your deck has 3 or fewer even/odd cards, so that you would be able to choose a few cards of the mana cost that you're not supposed to pick

Another change that could work is if they said 'Start of turn three" instead of "Start of game", but that might be a little too weird of a change.

• iWatchUSleep's Avatar 795 739 Posts Joined 05/28/2019

Plus many of the Genn/Baku decks don't even see play at all. Point me in the direct of Odd Warlock, Even Mage, Odd Priest, Even Priest, Even Rogue, Even Druid, Odd Druid, Odd Shaman, Even Hunter, Odd Hunter, Even Warrior, or Even Pally. They are almost non-existent in wild.

That's 12 out of a total 18 Genn/Baku decks that see almost no play in wild. That's not indicative that the playstyle is as big of a problem as people like to suggest. Plus, these decks have to compete against Reno & Dks for the late game. 

Odd paladin, odd rogue and even shaman are the strongest decks in wild. Odd warrior would be up there as well if it wasn't for big priest. And this will most likely stay this way forever until Blizzard oversees another broken combo like they did in the past (Naga Sea Witch buff/Juicy Psychmelon paired with Star Aligner and the standard druid combo).The consistency of those hero powers cannot be matched.

You don't see those other odd and even decks (minus a few) because their hero powers don't benefit as much from being upgraded nor is there a deck that syngerizes well enough with it. That doesn't mean it excuses Genn and Baku from being busted though.

Dark Pact was never an issue in zoolock either, because the deck doesn't gain anything from it. That doesn't mean the card didn't deserve a nerf. The thing with reno and death knights is that those need to be drawn first, and can only be played from turn 6 onwards. They're value bombs, not consistency bombs. That's a big difference.

Don't even get me started on how one-dimensional it is to play with and against those decks.

Quote From iWatchUSleep

Odd paladin, odd rogue and even shaman are the strongest decks in wild. Odd warrior would be up there as well if it wasn't for big priest. And this will most likely stay this way forever until Blizzard oversees another broken combo like they did in the past (Naga Sea Witch buff/Juicy Psychmelon paired with Star Aligner and the standard druid combo).The consistency of those hero powers cannot be matched.

You don't see those other odd and even decks (minus a few) because their hero powers don't benefit as much from being upgraded nor is there a deck that syngerizes well enough with it. That doesn't mean it excuses Genn and Baku from being busted though.

Dark Pact was never an issue in zoolock either, because the deck doesn't gain anything from it. That doesn't mean the card didn't deserve a nerf. The thing with reno and death knights is that those need to be drawn first, and can only be played from turn 6 onwards. They're value bombs, not consistency bombs. That's a big difference.

Don't even get me started on how one-dimensional it is to play with and against those decks.

Strong doesn't equal broken. You have to have tier 1 decks. If it wasn't Odd Pally it would need to be something else. Tier 0 is what is concerning. Odd Pally, Even Shaman, Odd Rogue still are not warping the entire meta like Giant Lock, Giant Hunter, & SA Druid did, there are obvious counters. The point is that not everyone plays those counters, or the counters are countered by a different deck in the meta so again players don't use them.

For example, I get my first legend (really first time past rank 5 even) with Reno Dragon Priest the season just before the Even Shaman nerf. On the meta snapshot Reno Priest was marked as one of the tier 1 decks (although now it is nowhere to be seen on any tier for some odd reason). I was able to very quickly take myself from being stuck at rank 3 clear up to legend. Want to know my easiest match-up during the grind? Even Shaman (pre nerf). Having a bunch of midrange & late game board clears, along with midrange minions and late game burn easily carried me against one of the "strongest decks in the game". I will admit Odd Pally was still strong due to their persistent staying power and Odd Rogue was 50/50, but I'm bringing this up because there are counters for the decks. Don't allow a tier list to tell you what can or can't beat the meta.

One-dimensionality shouldn't play a role in balance design in most cases. I for one find decks like Reno Lock or Reno Mage just as one dimensional as decks like Even Shaman or Odd Rogue. The more you play a deck the more auto-pilot it becomes due to the skill and familiarity you get with said deck(s).

• Yusuke's Avatar 225 167 Posts Joined 06/02/2019

Hi together,

i agree to Lyra and want to add that I would even like to buff Genn Greymane to Raza for more deckbuilding possebilities. I mean to be honest would Genn's ability really problematic, if it would work like Raza? I guess not, because Raza still exists and Raza Priest after the nerf is strong, but totally fine.

What do you think about my idea to buff Genn to Raza?

@Yusuke

I think that Genn wouldn't be overpowered if it worked like Raza, but I don't see why it should be changed. The only real difference is that you could have a 1-Mana upgraded Hero Power with Justicar or a 1-Mana Deathknight Hero power, which would be stronger but I'm not sure what deckbuilding opportunities it would really open up, unless we get an even-cost way to have a repeatable Hero power.

Strong doesn't equal broken. You have to have tier 1 decks. If it wasn't Odd Pally it would need to be something else. Tier 0 is what is concerning. Odd Pally, Even Shaman, Odd Rogue still are not warping the entire meta like Giant Lock, Giant Hunter, & SA Druid did, there are obvious counters. The point is that not everyone plays those counters, or the counters are countered by a different deck in the meta so again players don't use them.

For example, I get my first legend (really first time past rank 5 even) with Reno Dragon Priest the season just before the Even Shaman nerf. On the meta snapshot Reno Priest was marked as one of the tier 1 decks (although now it is nowhere to be seen on any tier for some odd reason). I was able to very quickly take myself from being stuck at rank 3 clear up to legend. Want to know my easiest match-up during the grind? Even Shaman (pre nerf). Having a bunch of midrange & late game board clears, along with midrange minions and late game burn easily carried me against one of the "strongest decks in the game". I will admit Odd Pally was still strong due to their persistent staying power and Odd Rogue was 50/50, but I'm bringing this up because there are counters for the decks. Don't allow a tier list to tell you what can or can't beat the meta.

One-dimensionality shouldn't play a role in balance design in most cases. I for one find decks like Reno Lock or Reno Mage just as one dimensional as decks like Even Shaman or Odd Rogue. The more you play a deck the more auto-pilot it becomes due to the skill and familiarity you get with said deck(s).

You seem to be under the impression that a deck needs to be tier 0 with no hard counters before it becomes a nerf candidate. Sure, this might be the cause of Blizzard since that is their mentality towards wild (and even then they take ages to actually do something) but it doesn't necessarily need to be. Just look at rogue in standard. Was it broken before the nerfs to EVIL Miscreant, Raiding Party and Preparation? No, it even had a hard counter which was immensely popular in the form of warrior. Hell, I believe it dropped to tier 2 on vS' meta report right before the nerfs. But it still got nerfed nonetheless.

Odd paladin, even shaman and odd rogue have been the top decks in the wild meta pretty much since Genn and Baku were released. This has not changed and most likely won't ever change unless Blizzard intervene. You ask why reno priest doesn't see play? Because it cannot beat the consistency that Baku provides for odd rogue and odd paladin. Cherry picking a niche deck's winrate against one of the three decks doesn't change that. Hell, odd warrior hard counters all three of those decks. But what's that in its name? Oh wait, it's "odd". Surprise. 

One dimensionality shouldn't usually be a factor taken into account when balancing. But when every wild player can pretty much dream the matchup against odd and even decks, because they've been around forever, it becomes extremely stale. 

Why do you think Blizzard removed Genn Greymane and Baku the Mooneater from standard and threw them in Hearthstone's dumpster, aka wild, in the first place? Because they're problem cards and Blizzard have no idea what to do with them.

• scout's Avatar 55 12 Posts Joined 06/03/2019

One thing I would like to see is

"Start of game: WHILE your deck has only even cost cards, your starting hero power costs (1)."

Same for Baku.

Would require some pretty specific counter play to brick the cheaper/upgraded hero power, but it does offer counterplay.

At the minimum someone has the option to vent on these decks by making a hate deck that disrupts their gameplan.

• Bluelights's Avatar 400 298 Posts Joined 04/02/2019

Completely unnecasery to nerf them. Yes they are in the Meta, but so are Highlander decks. And many more broken things. 

• Lightspoon's Avatar Merfolk 495 405 Posts Joined 04/01/2019

There is a difference between what may need a nerf in Wild and what may need it in Standard: due to the limited card pool you have in Standard, some powerful interactions may result as problematic to deal with in the first place. In Wild this kind of scenario is much harder to achieve and probably the only things that requires some nerf are Tier 0 decks, because they show an insane win rate, and those decks who are warping the entire meta around them, because they're forcing everything else to be tuned by taking them in consideration.

A comparison between the two formats regarding what may need nerf is not a good one when speaking of the same cards: Genn Greymane and Baku the Mooneater were problematic on Standard because they granted a power spike that cannot be counterbalanced properly, but in Wild they're simply strong in certain archetype while not being so oppressive (they're very popular due to their fast and efficient win rate/play style).

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the world, and loses his own soul?"

This thread seems bugged for me as I can't quote people properly anymore.

@Mods, whenever I press the quote button on any post I get this: https://gyazo.com/b5d8e147c4950ac3b8668a9802981d0c

Anyway:
    Quote From BlueLights

"Completely unnecasery to nerf them. Yes they are in the Meta, but so are Highlander decks. And many more broken things. "

You're not seriously comparing Genn and Baku, which have been tier 1 ever since their release, to highlander decks, which have been bottom of the barrel (barely tier 3/4) for a while now, right? 

Quote From iWatchUSleep

You seem to be under the impression that a deck needs to be tier 0 with no hard counters before it becomes a nerf candidate. Sure, this might be the cause of Blizzard since that is their mentality towards wild (and even then they take ages to actually do something) but it doesn't necessarily need to be. Just look at rogue in standard. Was it broken before the nerfs to EVIL Miscreant, Raiding Party and Preparation? No, it even had a hard counter which was immensely popular in the form of warrior. Hell, I believe it dropped to tier 2 on vS' meta report right before the nerfs. But it still got nerfed nonetheless.

Odd paladin, even shaman and odd rogue have been the top decks in the wild meta pretty much since Genn and Baku were released. This has not changed and most likely won't ever change unless Blizzard intervene. You ask why reno priest doesn't see play? Because it cannot beat the consistency that Baku provides for odd rogue and odd paladin. Cherry picking a niche deck's winrate against one of the three decks doesn't change that. Hell, odd warrior hard counters all three of those decks. But what's that in its name? Oh wait, it's "odd". Surprise. 

One dimensionality shouldn't usually be a factor taken into account when balancing. But when every wild player can pretty much dream the matchup against odd and even decks, because they've been around forever, it becomes extremely stale. 

Why do you think Blizzard removed Genn Greymane and Baku the Mooneater from standard and threw them in Hearthstone's dumpster, aka wild, in the first place? Because they're problem cards and Blizzard have no idea what to do with them.

I feel like too much of a standard format philosophy is being used at the basis for your argument. Staleness should NEVER be used as an argument to nerf something in wild (unless again it is due to a massive game warping Tier 0 level of 'staleness'. Eternal formats were never created with the intent to change the deck pool every few months or even every year. That is what CCGs banned list format has been for (Standard in HS' case). You may reference stale match-ups, stale cards, or stale strategies as a reason to change Genn or Baku, but I could just as easily counter argue that plenty of wild-only cards technically make wild classes stale (and always will). Do you honestly think any form of control or combo-oriented warlock deck would ever not use Bloodreaver Gul'Dan, for a perfect example? Many DKs technically would make many classes stale in wild because they are so powerful they are auto-includes for almost any playstyle used by that deck (and they don't even suffer from any glaring weakness like the original 'DK' did in the form of Jarraxus, such as tempo loss by playing a 9 mana card, a cap at low life total, etc).

I don't think you have very high confidence in the wild card pool, or ingenuity of better wild players. Genn & Baku weren't thrown into wild (they technically were already part of wild as soon as they were released) because T5 didn't know what to do with them, it was more because the entire standard format is inherently flawed by rotating out old effective answers and then releasing new cards that technically could be used to answer new problematic decks. In other words, Genn & Baku were HoFed because standard rotated out a bunch of old cards in the past that wild players could use at any time to answer the early/midrange aggressive of odd/even decks. Standard warlocks were utterly screwed against Odd Pally once the format naturally rotated out the ultimate token bane, Defile, but in wild we never lost that option.

I still stand by the stance that odd/even decks are not as terrible of an epidemic as some players want you to think. Even before Even Shaman was nerfed the only odd/even decks I faced were Even Shaman, Odd Rogue, some Odd Pallies, and a rare few Even Warlocks. Even with my "niche deck" I massively sped up my 3-legend wild grind against decks that people bemoaned were 'impossible' to beat during that meta. Odd/even decks have hardly changed since the nerfs, which means they are just as beatable with a variety of wild decks. The key is actually breaking away from 'Be all, end all' meta reports and mindless 'pro player' approved netdecks and dip into older archtypes sometimes or even older tech, instead of taking a standard net deck and plugging in a few wild cards and wondering why Genn/Baku seem to be allegedly invincible.

Another important thing to point out before I end this post is that wild metas have always changed more slowly than standard metas, and this is intended. Please reflect on this for a moment. Metas do change, but if you place the requirement that they change as quickly, or close to as quickly, as standard metas then you already are skewing the basis for your argument for why Genn/Baku 'should' be nerfed. Do you see Christmas Tree Pally around in wild anymore, despite never having received many direct nerfs? Nope, stronger cards replaced it. Do you see as many Even Locks, Murloc Shamans, Tempo Rogues (non-Kingsbane), Miracle Rogues (having never received many direct nerfs), Traditional Freeze Mage (non-quest), legit Spell Hunters, and many more? Nope, most of those have dipped in frequency when compared to when they first became popular due to better cards/decks coming out. Some of those decks have almost 100% dropped out of competitive ladder play altogether (having only received HoF changes as opposed to nerfs). Let's not be so hasty to doubt the powercreep of both control and aggro decks to say that odd/even will never dip in popularity shall we.

You seem overly focused on the 'stale' part, yet this was only one of the few reasons why I'm not opposed to nerfing those cards. Nor did I ever say any of those decks were unbeatable. They're just too consistent at what they do and this won't change. Hence why these decks will forever stay on top in wild.

Your argument about stronger cards being added would've made sense a year ago, but not anymore. Blizzard are purposely shying away from stronger cards to prevent a power creep. Just compare the current highlander cards to their previous League of Explorers iterations. Hence why I believe that we will never see cards as strong as Genn Greymane and Baku the Mooneater ever again. 

And if Blizzard actually knew what they were doing they would've a. made counters for Genn and Baku decks in the new expansion or b. altered both cards in a meaningful way. But they didn't do either. They chose for the easy, band-aid solution by making them wild's problem forever.

• Leave a Comment

You must be signed in to leave a comment. Sign in here.

Remove Ads - Go Premium