Hearthstone Mercenaries is an upcoming game mode that focuses on elements from Roguelike and Tactical RPGs. Here is everything we know about the mode so far.
- Hearthstone Mercenaries releases during Phase 1 of the Year of the Gryphon.
- You will not use your collection for this mode, just like Hearthstone Battlegrounds.
- According to Ben Lee, it is Hearthstone's take on Slay the Spire.
- There is no deckbuilding in Hearthstone Mercenaries.
- Progression is permanent.
Due to the in-dev nature of Mercenaries, the information here is subject to change!
What Are Mercenaries?
Mercenaries are the lifeblood of the mode. You will assemble your chosen characters into a three-person squad to progress through levels.
- Each mercenary has access to different abilities, giving you a wide range of strategies to try.
- Mercenaries have levels.
- When you level a mercenary they get stronger and will obtain new abilities.
- Your abilities can also earn experience to level up.
- The maximum level of each mercenary is at least 30.
- Your mercenaries can equip gear that they find in runs. This gear makes them stronger and you may want to find certain pieces of each merc.
- You find more mercenaries by playing the game.
The Mercenaries Map
- Each run gives you a randomly generated map.
- You will find different types of events and branching paths as you go through the map.
- Fights, Elite Encounters, and Non-Combat Events are all possible.
- If you fail to complete a level, you can try again.
- At the end of the map, you'll fight a boss.
Here is an example map in Mercenaries as seen from BlizzConline.
PVP in Mercenaries
Although Hearthstone Mercenaries is largely a PVE game mode, there are also PVP aspects. You can fight other players in strategic combat with your squad.
- You and your opponent will both queue up moves at the same time; You won't know what they're going to do!
No details other details on PVP are available yet.
Who Are Hearthstone's Mercenaries?
We don't have a full list of them yet, but there will be "around 40" mercenaries to collect. Here's who is on the list so far!
- Tirion Fordring
- Sylvanas Windrunner
- Ragnaros the Firelord
- Valeera Sanguinar
Although not confirmed yet, these characters were present on the key art.
- Illidan Stormrage
Who Are the Mercenaries Bosses?
We don't have an exhaustive list yet, but these characters have been confirmed as bosses.
- King Krush
- King Mukla
- Jaina Proudmoore
- The Lich King
Hearthstone Mercenaries Key Art