The Witchwood Card Spoilers & Expansion Guide
Witch expansion are we referring to? Yes! Hearthstone's 8th Expansion is The Witchwood! It launched on April 12th 2018 - Patch Notes
Embark alongside Worgen on this haunting adventure through The Witchwood. This set brings 135 new cards to the game and a new standard rotation.
- New Druid Hero - Lunara was obtainable for free during the Year of the Raven simply by winning 10 games in Standard.
- New Hero Card - Hagatha the Witch is available as one of two legendaries for the Shaman class. This is the only hero card released with this set.
- New Keyword - Echo allows you to play a card as many times as you would like on that turn, if you have the mana to do so!
- New Keyword - Rush minions may attack other minions the turn they are played. Very similar to Charge, but no face!
- New Archetypes - Odd & Even decks will inevitably be a thing for quite some time with Genn Greymane and Baku the Mooneater.
- New Mechanic - Worgen flavour cards include a handful that alternate between forms at the end of each turn they are in your hand.
- New Single Player Content - Monster Hunt is a free solo adventure. It was released two weeks after the initial expansion launch.
- New Standard Rotation - Year of the Raven; Whispers of the Old Gods, One Night at Karazhan, and Mean Streets of Gadgetzan became wild-only.
Pre-Order & Free Content
Leading up to the release of The Witchwood, players could pre-order a bundle of 70 packs and an exclusive card back for $49.99 USD.
Some free bonuses were also available to all players:
- Up to four card packs were available to be earned leading up to release.
- Each player received one random legendary class card at log in.
- Three card packs were given for logging in on upon release.
- New Druid Hero, Lunara, earned by winning 10 matches in Standard.
- One card pack was earnable for completing Monster Hunt with each hero.
- A special back is earnable by completing the Monster Hunt with all heroes.
Lunara was obtainable to everyone during the Year of the Raven by simply winning 10 games in Standard format.
She has all-new voice lines:
- Thanks: "I appreciate your efforts."
- Well played: "Well played."
- Greetings: "Nature's blessings upon you."
- Wow: "That was wild!"
- Oops: "A wild miscalculation."
- Threaten: "Suffer as the wildlands suffer!"
Hagatha the Witch
The single new hero card from this set is one of two legendaries released for Shaman in this set. Hagatha has a powerful Battlecry and a unique hero power and voice lines!
- Passive Hero Power: "After you play a minion, add a random Shaman spell to your hand."
- Greetings: "Welcome to my domain."
- Well Played: "Well played."
- Thanks: "Thank you."
- Wow: "By the night!"
- Oops: "Unwise."
- Threaten: "The curse take you!"
"Cards with Echo can be played again and again on the same turn—as long as you have the mana to pay the price."
Among these new 135 collectible cards, 13 posses the Echo keyword. Mage and Druid were the only classes to not receive an Echo card.
"Rush offers the immediate gratification of Charge without its game-ending potential, so you’ll encounter more minions that hit the ground running with this new keyword."
Rush may have been new, but Blizzard was not kidding when they said we would encounter more Rush cards than Charge. In total, The Witchwood gave us 19 Rush cards.
Evens & Odds
Two new and exciting build-around legendaries were unleashed with this set. Each has a very powerful start-of-game effect that can be triggered by meeting their requirements.
- With Genn Greymane , every card in your deck must have an even mana cost (0,2,4,6,8,10,12). The card's effect will reduce the cost of your hero power.
- With Baku the Mooneater , every card in your deck must have an odd mana cost (1,3,5,7,9). The card's effect will empower your starting hero power.
In addition to the two build-around cards, some additional cards were released that have specific synergy with these archetypes.
*As of the Year of the Dragon, these six cards were moved to the Hall of Fame a year early.
Five Worgen cards in this set have a special mechanic; they transform and swap Attack and Health each turn you hold them, as well as their art and voice lines!
- Released April 26th 2018
- Can be found under 'Solo Adventures' on the main menu.
- Similar to Dungeon Run from Kobolds & Catacombs; you will battle various bosses, building a deck on your journey to defeat Hagatha the Witch.
- Features four heroes to choose from, each with their own unique tricks and grudge match-up at the end of the run.
- For a limited time, one pack was awarded for each hero you completed the hunt with.
- After completing the hunt with each hero, you unlock the Monster Hunter card back.
The Heroes of The Witchwood
Year of the Raven
The Standard format has rotated, and multiple sets have been restricted to wild. These sets are:
Additionally, with this rotation three more cards have been added to the Hall of Fame set:
A series of blog posts were released leading up the the expansion to introduce many characters you'll encounter.
| Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 |
Click Here To Skip Revealed Cards
Card Backs & Packs
In a Dark Wood