We've got a brand new event in Hearthstone's Mercenaries game mode and it's here only for a limited-time! This time, we'll venture into many dangerous Bounty zones with the aid of N'Zoth, (in)famous Old God that already made its appearance in Hearthstone in Whispers of the Old Gods with N'Zoth, the Corruptor.
Our journey won't be in search of just fame and success, but you'll be able to complete a set of 10 event Tasks, which will reward you coins for N'Zoth and many other goodies.
NEW LIMITED TIME EVENT: N'ZOTH
When Patch 23.2 launches, the Old God N’Zoth’s influence will seep into Mercenaries with a new limited-time event. The event will consist of 10 special Tasks centered around N’Zoth. Two new event Tasks can unlock on each of the first five days of the event, but you have until Patch 23.4 to complete all 10 Tasks. Completing all 10 Tasks will award you the base N’Zoth Mercenary, a random Golden N’Zoth Portrait, the N’Zoth Diamond Portrait, and over 750 total Mercenaries Coins! For the first time ever, Toki will return to her regularly-scheduled daily Tasks the day after you complete all 10 event Tasks, even if the event period isn’t over yet.
Be careful, N’Zoth’s whispers have driven many a merc to madness. You’ll need not just your wits, but also your strongest Humans, Dwarves, Elves, and, especially your Murlocs, to take this event down.
Here are all the tasks that are available during the N'Zoth Mercenaries event. Click any of the links below to visit our guide for the task.
- Raiding the Shore
- Ice Sculpting
- Requirement: Complete Icehowl Bounty without any Blocks of Ice on the board in Winterspring.
- Reward: N'Zoth Mercenary.
- One with the Void
- Bunker Crashers
- Murlocs in the Valley
- Bones and Golems
- Damage Supreme
- Requirement: Deal 100 damage with N'zoth's Corrupted Viscera in a single battle.
- Reward: N'Zoth Golden Portrait
- Requirement: Complete Emperor Thaurissan Bounty without setting off powdered kegs.
- Reward: _
- Requirement: Complete Heroic Popsicooler Bounty with at least 3 Murlocs in Alterac Valley.
- Reward: _
- Requirement: Land a killing blow with N'zoth's Spawn of N'zoth against Gigafin or Gigafin's Maw in Corrupted Murlocs Bounty in Darkshore.
- Reward: _
As you can see, these tasks are quite the mixed bag: while some are fairly simple to complete, others require more than a bit of thinking (and luck: that one's always welcome) and planning ahead.
Moreover, certain tasks clearly state that you need Comps consisting of Mercenaries belonging to specific races in order for your progresses to count: while the Leeroy Jenkins event was about Orcs, Humans and Dragons, this time you'll need the help of Humans, Dwarves, Elves, and... Murlocs!
Not all challenges might be as difficult as they seem at a glance: there are usually tips and tricks to be found to make everyone's lives easier. In this series of guides we'll take a look at how to complete each event Task, so that you'll be able to get your hands on all the rewards available. As of now, we'll focus our attention on the current task.
In case you missed them, if you click the banner below you'll have access to each of our task guides for this event.
How to Complete the "Raiding the Shore" Task from the N'Zoth Event
- Requirement: Complete Corrupted Murlocs Bounty with at least 1 Murloc in Darkshore.
- Rewards: 50 N'Zoth Coins, 25 Murky Coins.
- Difficulty: 1/5
The event starts off with a task related to the one new bounty introduced with patch 23.2, Corrupted Murlocs in the Darkshore zone. The requirement isn't that hard: all you need to do is complete the bounty while having a single Murloc in your party (doesn't matter whether it will play an active role in your strategy or will just chill on the bench). In fact, you don't even need to play Heroic mode - we're definitely off a good start!
With that being said, let's take a look at what the final fight looks like and what our foes will try to do in order to hinder us.
Gigafin will appear on the battlefield supported by its Maw, resulting in an all-Fighter match for your Mercenaries. Each of these two units has an aura ability.
- Gigafin - After 3 of your characters die, summon a random Darkshore Murloc. (Resets after summoning).
- Gigafin's Maw - After one of your characters dies, give Murlocs +5/+5.
Murlocs summoned by Gigafin's Maw's Chum Bucket.
As you can see with these aura effects, this fight will revolve around your opponents spawning units and capitalizing on them. We think the best approach against opponents like Gigafin and its Maw is not leaving them time to set up their game plan, starting with the beatdown as soon as your Mercenaries hit the board. As you can imagine, Protectors are very effective.
Finally, here are all the Murloc Mercenaries currently available:
- Protectors: none.
- Fighters: Murky, Mutanus, Old Murk-Eye.
- Casters: Cookie, the Cook, Morgl the Oracle.
As you can see, not that many choices, but in the end all you need is just one Murloc, at worst, just chilling on the bench while you beat up your foes with the rest of the team. It has to be said that you can just queue your normal comp with Cookie, the Cook on the bench with Appetizers 4 for extra health.
Here are a few Mercenaries parties you can use to complete the "Raiding the Shore" task. You'll be able to choose between many comps, suggested by different content creators, as well as mentions of budget alternatives for our readers that don't have many Legendary Mercs in their collection.
Out of Cards Recommendation - Orc Comp
Since you're going against Fighters, you want strong Protectors, and when we think about strong Protectors we think about Orcs. Mercenaries belonging to this race have really strong synergy and, as you'll see in the video below, they'll allow you to literally shred to pieces your opponents. The final fight literally took us only two turns, one for each enemy unit. This comp is quite expensive, but it allows you to easily cruise through the entire bounty and leave any Murloc you want chilling on the bench - if you're looking for something cheaper, you may want to scroll down a little bit.
To prove this comp of being fit for this task, we actually recorded a video showing you that you can pull this off with ease.
Here are a few tips for those unfamiliar with this strategy.
- The Mercs you'll use to climb are Garrosh Hellscream-Thrall-Saurfang.
- However, we encourage you to pick your climbing comp based on what you're up against: Fighters against Casters, Protectors against Fighters and other Protectors.
- For the final fight, you want to use a Protectors trio, with Garrosh Hellscream-Thrall-Grommash Hellscream ready to demolish your opponents.
- Try to pick as many Orc/Horde stats buffs along the way as possible: almost all your abilities imply physical attacks, so boosting your Mercenaries' stats will only make things easier.
- Murky stayed for almost the entire bounty on the bench, as you do not require it to do anything.
- Therefore, you can slot in any Murloc you own.
Anfidel's Murloc Comp
Anfidel decided to take a slower, yet definitely more fun, approach to this fight, challenging Gigafin with an army of Murlocs.
- Mutanus-Old Murk-Eye-Morgl the Oracle is your starting comp for the final boss.
- Summon and buff your Murlocs, creating a bigger and bigger board with each turn.
Our clever community members set up a forum thread to share your Mercenaries progression journey, and we have added an #mercenaries channel on our Discord server if you want to talk with others in real-time. If you need an assist, you can also respond to this guide and we'll do our best to help you out; the comments are also a great way to share your own comps that you've used to complete the task above.
Good luck taking on any of these Bounties for those sweet sweet coins or just for the sake of satisfying completion!